Cobweb Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StagPursey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
so i've only recently finished cycling my 10 gallon tank and i currently have one male betta and 3 amano shrimp and there's this weird stuff which i think is algae but it looks just like cobwebs and its all over my plants (both plastic and real) and a bit on my gravel. It doesn't seem to bother the betta or my shrimp.

Is it harmful and how do i get rid of it?
I did a small water change and got some of it out but it keeps growing back :confused:

Here's a photo of it:
IMG_0303.jpg

I'm not 100% positive but it looks like the beginnings of what is called staghorn algae. If it is, this stuff is almost impossible to remove by just wiping. If you pull at it, it feels almost rubbery. If it is staghorn the best remedy for this is to soak the affected stuff in a bleach solution (dont wear good clothes when you do it) and make sure to rinse it THOROUGHLY before putting it back in the tank. Better yet, rehome your fish while you rebuild this one to make sure you dont put anything in that will kill your fish. The staghorn probably wont hurt your fish, it just looks unsightly.

There are some other threads on the forum with links to some really good info, many from a user called Mr. Limpet. He always has good info and his posts have helped me tremendously.

Good luck!

Oh ok thank you :)
I got some out and it felt all slimy :/
You've been a big help when you say bleach.. is there special aquarium bleach?

Oh ok thank you :)
I got some out and it felt all slimy :/
You've been a big help when you say bleach.. is there special aquarium bleach?

No, just regular household bleach. Some of the research I did when I had this same stuff in my tank said to use a 25% solution although I thought that to be excessive and was afraid it would kill my plants. I just did 10%. I soaked my plants and decorations for 10 minutes and wiped it away as best I could from the plants and scrubbed the heck out of the decorations. I dont know what causes it although I have heard it is from a nutrient imbalance. You might want to check your levels. Also, make sure to use a dechlorinator when you rinse your stuff to kill off the chlorine from the bleach.

Back
Top Bottom