"Cobwebs" in Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnRoscoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the last few days I've noticed several strands of what looks like cobwebs in my tank. There are several thin strands, and most are on my bacopa plants. It's too fine to show up in a photograph. I'm stumped as to what it might be. Has anyone ever seen something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, I've never encountered the 'cobwebs', but the way you describe it sounds like what they called staghorn algae in this thread

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/cobweb-algae-156510.html

I don't know about using the bleach suggestion the replier said to use on all of the plants, *if someone chimes in that would be great*. But if it looks like the picture in that thread at least you have a form of identification.

Staghorn Algae: (Compsopogon sp.). The link tells you some ways on removing it I just noticed

Hydrogen Peroxide mixed 50% tank water will kill it with out harming the fish. turn off all flow and spot treat with a spray bottle. Wait a few mins and turn on the pumps again. I dont know the proper mix ratio so might wanta google or youtube "Spot Treating Algae"

In the last few days I've noticed several strands of what looks like cobwebs in my tank. There are several thin strands, and most are on my bacopa plants. It's too fine to show up in a photograph. I'm stumped as to what it might be. Has anyone ever seen something like this?

I've had this near a stem plant that croaked. I didn't have the correct parameters for it I guess and it was rotting at and below soil level and it was on the soil. Don't know if this is your issue or not. Could be algae if it is on the plant itself.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I googled some pictures of the staghorn algae and I think mine is a very early form of that. The bacopa isn't as healthy as I'd like, so I think I'll trim it back hard with next PWC and try to remove the strings of algae. I really don't want to deal with an outbreak, so the bacopa might be on its way out altogether if things don't improve in a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom