Coconut spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piggypie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys,
I've had half a sanded down coconut shell in my tank for almost a year with no problems at all, but now all of a sudden it has little white specks and the color has gotten all splotchy, almost like light is falling on it through water, but it's actually on the coconut.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414030424.978434.jpg any idea what's going on? The algae just formed on it too, but I'm not worried about that. It almost looks like my coconut has ich. :p

If I rub/scrape at it a little the specks float off... There are too many to rub them all off and I don't know if I want them in my water, so I'm probably going to try boiling it off later.

Any chance you have Nerite snails ? They lay little light coloured eggs, and they don't hatch, but stick around for a long time before they fade away. Can be scrubbed off.

If not, Nerites would clean that algae off in no time flat, for sure. Still lay eggs though. Harmless, but not all care for the sight of them.

Back
Top Bottom