Cold Scare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jodibug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So it is 12 degrees outside where I live and our power was out for quite a while this morning. I was really worried that the fish might get too cold. Is there anything that can be done in a situation like this? Luckily the power is back on and everyone is fine, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to be more prepared for next time.

If it is very severe pjt blankets on top to keep heat in kf the powers on turn your heater up about 2 degrees also keep lights on to help with making heat

I am going through a cold spell also! Its -1 and the powers on, but my heater broke! So I filled up a water bottle with hot water and let it float! It makes a floating heater! :)

The best way is to have a backup emergency generator to use so your heaters and airpumps can still work.
It did get to below freezing here in FL and my tanks are outdoors. I just used stryofoam insulation around all the tanks with blankets on top of the tanks to keep the heat in. When my thermometer outside read 39 degrees, my tank thermo read 74. That was only a 4 degree drop from where they were set to (78) I'm not sure my heaters would have been doing their job at 12 degrees tho. I would need to really oversize the heaters for that.
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom