Cold water tank temperature.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a digital thermometer for my tanks last night and when I took temp readings, both my 10G (tropical, empty and cycling) and my 20G (cold water GF tank) are at 84*F. I know its fine for my tropical tank but, will this hurt my goldfish?

That is high even for many tropical fish.

Are you sure it is accurate? Can you feel a different in temp with your finger?

Temp is the same. Tried it with a second thermometer as well. We live on a 2nd story apt with no AC so it tends to stay in the mid 80's in the house all the time, even with windows open and multiple fans running :(

If you have strong aeration in both tanks it shouldn't be an issue.

The 10G has a 5-15Gallon Power filter and a 4 inch bubble bar and the 20G has a Whisper 20i filter and an 8in bubble bar. I think they are set for aeration but U could be wrong?

Any filtration should be rated for AT LEAST twice the actual volume. If there is a range go with the bottom end. So the 10 has 5 gallons of filtration and the 20 has about ten gallons worth.

Filters do aerate, but IME bubbles are more effective. They both have air pumps so it is good IMO.

Any filtration should be rated for AT LEAST twice the actual volume. If there is a range go with the bottom end. So the 10 has 5 gallons of filtration and the 20 has about ten gallons worth.

Filters do aerate, but IME bubbles are more effective. They both have air pumps so it is good IMO.

So I need to buy filters again? This is starting to cost me too much money that I dont have. I should just sell off the whole lot and forget it :(

That is the best guide when buying. If you have problems in one of them bump the 20i down to the ten gallon and buy a filter rater for 40-50 gallons for the 20 gallon.

You have enough filtration if: the water is visibly clear (adequate mechanical filtration) and there is no detectable ammonia or nitrite (adequate biological filtration). If those two criteria are met you don't need to buy more filtration yet. However, goldfish in a 20 gallon is pushing it, even with just one. Most likely eventually you may want to increase the filtration.

How many goldfish do you have right now? Any other fish in the 20?

That is the best guide when buying. If you have problems in one of them bump the 20i down to the ten gallon and buy a filter rater for 40-50 gallons for the 20 gallon.

You have enough filtration if: the water is visibly clear (adequate mechanical filtration) and there is no detectable ammonia or nitrite (adequate biological filtration). If those two criteria are met you don't need to buy more filtration yet. However, goldfish in a 20 gallon is pushing it, even with just one. Most likely eventually you may want to increase the filtration.

How many goldfish do you have right now? Any other fish in the 20?

3 goldies in the 20G. Ammonia tests about .25 every day before I do a 25% PWC. I am giving one of the GF (a Shubunkin, the biggest in the tank) to a friend in the next couole days so that will cut the bio load down a bit I hope.

They still need an upgrade. It sounds like it isn't quite cycled yet, so keep up the water changes until it gets there. What type are the other two? Water changes have more to do with stocking than actual tank volume, but you will be challenged to keep a 20 clean enough for two goldfish, especially at that temp.

They still need an upgrade. It sounds like it isn't quite cycled yet, so keep up the water changes until it gets there. What type are the other two? Water changes have more to do with stocking than actual tank volume, but you will be challenged to keep a 20 clean enough for two goldfish, especially at that temp.

Other than the Shubunkin, there is a Black Moor and a Fan Tail. They are not in there permanently. I am looking for a larger tank, just don't have the cash right now since I am on lay off. I really wanna convert it to a tropical tank.

If you have a small fan just put it over the tank and let it blow the water. But you'll have to add more because this makes it evaporate more. Also filling a water bottle up with water and freezing it. Then drop it in the tank and let it float. It will cool the tank down

If you have a small fan just put it over the tank and let it blow the water. But you'll have to add more because this makes it evaporate more. Also filling a water bottle up with water and freezing it. Then drop it in the tank and let it float. It will cool the tank down

I was thinking of ziplocking one f my blu-ice bricks and letting it float, lol

Back
Top Bottom