coldwater/tropical combos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmac1878

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was wondering what tropical fish could be kept in a cold water tank, if any. the owner of my local aquatic centre said it was posible for some types to be kept at lower temps, such as golden algae eaters. i've never had any bad advice from him yet. also i've read a few posts in this forum that suggest the same(i can't find them to quote them, but i have, i'm not making it up). i have tried to find some info on the net, but i've not come up with anything good yet.
my water temp is approx 22/23c (71.5/73.5f) and my PH is 7.2.

i don't have any intention of getting any more fish at this moment, tropical or otherwise, i am just interested. i didn't think it was a possible combo

There are a few hardy tropical fish and some fish you may have thought are tropical , but may not be after all (LOL).

Minnows like danios, giant danios, rosies and white clouds). Platies, mollies, and guppies. Swordtails too. American flag fish. Bitterlings. Chinese algae eaters just like the golden algae eaters (but beware...they o after fish when they mature). Some gouramis like the neon blues and cinnimons and torquoise. Cherry barbs are pretty hardy to different temps. I use to keep them in an unheated river tank for years.

There are a lot of tropicals that can live in cooler water. 70 degrees isn't necessarily cold water, just cooler. The most important thing is that the temperature remains stable with very little fluctuation (up to a three degree difference higher or lower). Growth will be slowed down for tropicals in cooler water and so will their basic movements...just like reptiles. Their intake in food may be less too.

The common pleco have been kept in ponds, but those that live in ponds that experience wide temp. fluctuations like in California that are less than three feet deep will most likely become sick and perish over winter. Ponds that keep a stable temp or are at least three feet deep (even if the top is frozen over), the plecos will hibernate successfully and wake up when the water becomes warmer in the spring.

Another flexible hardy fish to different water is the silver tip catfish. Naturally brackish, I've kept these fish in a number of different environments...from soft and acidic South American type water to marine both tropical temps and cool temps. Just make sure the temps remain stable.

Yes, Plecos can be kept in 70'ish water. Drawfs had been kept with goldies for a long time.

Many loaches can be kept in cold water too - but then they are not really tropicals.

The paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis) fits your criteria. From what I understand, they should be kept in water temperatures ranging from 60-80F, but can survive in water temperatures from 55 to 90F.

Just about all tropical fish can be kept at that temp., save a few really delicate types. Its on the lower end of their scale but still at a point where they can live and thrive. As long as it stays constant and doesn't fluctuate much as mentioned before.

The temp you are at is not really coldwater, as others have mentioned. You are at the low end of most tropical fish temps and other than the slower growth will not have problems if the temp stays relatively constant. My tropical tank stays between 73 and 76 degrees and I have seen no ill effects to date. I have a mixture of barbs, a cory cat, and 2 Oto's.

When spring comes I'll have the temp constant at about 80F (if not higher). Reason being is that my house is between 50 and 65 this time of year and there is too much temp fluctuation at night when the heat is off (20gallon high with a 150watt heater). By decreasing my tank temp I see less fluctuation, which is better for the fish than a slightly higher temp.

WOW! i didn't realise that there would be that many. i'll take a look into that a little bit more. but no fish for a while yet.

Back
Top Bottom