Colombian Sharks--saltwater or not? BIG problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel Jackson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I got a big problem... I saw a Colombian Shark (Hexanematichthys seemanni) at my lfs and the salesman told me, that it ain't difficult keeping the right conditions for this fish and there wouldn't be any problems with it. This fish looks really amazing and really impressive for a tank, in any case, this would be an eye-catcher, so finally I bought one.

After coming back home, I looked for some informations about this fish on the net, and I was really shocked. First of all, it seems, that my tank is too small for him (55 US-gallons)

And now I'm not so sure about the right condition that suits this fish. First of all, my tank is populated with guppys, platys, bristlenose catfishes, armoured catfishes, angel fishes and neons. Beside of these neons, is it possible to keep this fish in community with the other ones?

I heard, that this shark needs or prefers a bit of salt in the water? This gonna be a problem for the other ones, wouldn't it?

What should I do now or what would be the best thing to do?

I'm really mad about myself...this was definitely my fault, and there is one thing, I've learned for the future: FIRST TO GET SOME INFORMATIONS ABOUT A FISH, I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO BUY AND NOT TO ASK THE LFS!!!
I know I was naive so please don't judge me too hard... :-(

Greetings from Berlin in Germany

Daniel Jackson

PS: Basic informations about my tank under: www.physik.de.vu

Back
Top Bottom