Color changing cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruutah

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I recently moved my pair of ( I know they need a bigger group, and that is the plan but they started out in a 5gal and I'm loathe to add more with a move coming up at the end of the month.) peppered cories from a planted tank with regular tan colored sand for substrate to a planted tank with carib sea Tahitian moon sand (black).

They used to be more silver than black, like almost see through silver with black spots. But after a few weeks in the new tank, they're mostly black now. What gives? Just a natural camoflauge response?

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah they're awesome. Still easily one of my favorite fish, even with the more colorful tankmates. None of the others have the personality these two do.

Of course I walk over to the tank to get a picture of them and they run and hide.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My peppered corys change colour when I cut back the plants and allow more light to reach the substrate. They lighten up. I have noticed that the pandas do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That may explain it. The new tank is MUCH more heavily planted with lots of floating plants. Not a whole lot of light is getting down low. In fact I'm likely ordering a new light because stuff is melting back since I added the floating hornwort and water sprite. I've got a TON of new growth on the water sprite though.

Back
Top Bottom