Columbian Shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was down at my mother's office and saw a fish in a somewhat small tank. It looked to be about a 10 gallon or so. I was told that the fish was some sort of shark so after some looking I think its a Columbian Shark.

The lady who keeps the tank knows nothing about it and I figured I could give her some information on it if there was anything you guys knew about it?

Thanks, forgot to mention that I had done my fair share of the research and wasn't completely being dependant upon you guys. Thanks a lot for finding that, I used to check that site a lot. Its been too long, and I am sorry if I make the millions of mistakes a complete newbie does. Thanks again. Are there any..unwritten tips or anything you can give me to pass on to them?

i have columbian sharks, and they are a wonderful species to have. they do require a lot of care, as do most species. when columbian sharks are young they need to be in a brackish tank, emphasis on this. a brackish tank will allow them to grow and be healthy. once they reach adulthood, around 18 inches, they will need full marine. as i just said they will reach up to 18 inches, so 10 gals is not a good size tank for them at any stage, even a young fish. they grow quickly and require plenty of room to grow. my girls and most columbians dwell at the bottom and middle of the tank, sometimes going to the top to play in the turbulence caused by the filters. i have a bubbling filter specifically to create a lot of bubbles and moving water, the girls love it! this species eats anything and everything. the rule is if it fits in their mouth, they will eat it. they love live prey, and meaty, nutritious foods.
hopefully whom ever owns the columbian shark you saw will listen to you and up grade their tank to an appropriate environment!

I don't think I see this person upgrading, due to apathy towards the hobby as a whole, so maybe I should recomend a complete removal of the fish and maybe an exchange for something a little less demanding on her part. Thanks a ton for the help.

Back
Top Bottom