Columbian Sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindenthaler.9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a pair of Columbian (Silver tip) sharks, getting a third. They're juvies in a brackish aquarium.
Once they reach marine conditions they'll move into a large tank, upwards of a hundred gallons.
Any suggestions for tank mates? Either during their brackish or marine stages.

I'm mostly looking for personal experience here, the Internet doesn't have much since most are under the impression they're freshwater.

(I'm not new to brackish aquariums, I also have brackish Morays, Figure 8s, Green Spotted Puffers, an Orange Saddle Fugu puffer, and a Mono)

Once they go into the saltwater stage, I would advise something like a flounder or lion fish possibly.

What is the tank size are the Colombians in it will better help determine tank mates? I was going to suggest monos but seems as though you already have them. How long have you had the orange saddle? Those are some tough fish to keep.

Right now it's a 55. They're first on the list for an upgrade. I might add my Mono over from the Moray's tank once it does get upgraded.
But I'm mainly looking for tank mates that can be added after I do the upgrade.

And the Orange Saddle is relatively new. Somewhere around 2 months. Maybe longer.
(The feeders in the picture were actually for my Morays)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421508898810.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421508898810.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 95
Right now it's a 55. They're first on the list for an upgrade. I might add my Mono over from the Moray's tank once it does get upgraded.
But I'm mainly looking for tank mates that can be added after I do the upgrade.

And the Orange Saddle is relatively new. Somewhere around 2 months. Maybe longer.
(The feeders in the picture were actually for my Morays)

Beautiful! one of my favorites but I could never keep one alive for more than a month found out to late that they prefer cold water and low light. Good luck with yours.

When you do your upgrade Archers would be a good match. Give you some upper water activity.

Beautiful! one of my favorites but I could never keep one alive for more than a month found out to late that they prefer cold water and low light. Good luck with yours.

When you do your upgrade Archers would be a good match. Give you some upper water activity.
Yeah there's so little information on them. I've have seen the use of a chiller recommended though. Unfortunately it's not something I have available.

Yeah there's so little information on them. I've have seen the use of a chiller recommended though. Unfortunately it's not something I have available.

You are right really no info out there because not many can keep them alive. I read one article from a women that had hers alive for over a year. She kept hers alone in a 75 with a sand substrate in a room that was not used often. She didn't use a chiller but also didn't use a heater guess this depends on where you live. She had the tank in a hallway at first but the fish acted stressed when she moved it to the other room it started associating her with food and it came out when she came in the room. After reading that I decided not to try anymore but good luck with yours they are beauties.

You are right really no info out there because not many can keep them alive. I read one article from a women that had hers alive for over a year. She kept hers alone in a 75 with a sand substrate in a room that was not used often. She didn't use a chiller but also didn't use a heater guess this depends on where you live. She had the tank in a hallway at first but the fish acted stressed when she moved it to the other room it started associating her with food and it came out when she came in the room. After reading that I decided not to try anymore but good luck with yours they are beauties.
I've prepared myself for her dying. They have such a low survival rate.. it's almost inevitable. But mine loves burying herself. Sand is one of things they seem to need to survive.

I've prepared myself for her dying. They have such a low survival rate.. it's almost inevitable. But mine loves burying herself. Sand is one of things they seem to need to survive.

Hopefully you have success with the guy!
It's pretty rare for people to buy these with a plan for them to have the proper marine set up and tank space they need. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hopefully you have success with the guy!
It's pretty rare for people to buy these with a plan for them to have the proper marine set up and tank space they need. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Thanks, I actually bought mine from low end brackish at my lfs. The employee even said it could live in FW, in the upper 70's. I knew they couldn't survive in that so I had to get him. Luckily I had a brackish tank cycled my GSP was gonna go into.

Back
Top Bottom