Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Combating hard and acidic water

Nitrates=0
Nitrites=0
Ammonia=0
pH=6.0
GH=180+ppm
KH=0

Feel I'm fighting a losing battle. Most of what I read about pH is that it tends to be alkaline when water is hard. Strangely, mine is the opposite. Very hard, very acidic.

Been working hard to bring down Nitrates, get water softer and neutralize pH using frequent daily or every other day water changes using distilled water. Nitrates are down completely.

This is an aged tank (10+yrs), recently lost two schools (rainbows/tetras) and blue spot Gourami. Mainly since a recent illness in the family prevented regular maintenance, but everything is good now, except the tank. The Rainbow Shark and Lemon-spotted Pleco are the only and oldest inhabitants.

Is it the driftwood? Is it the gravel mixed with Flourite substrate? SOMETHING has to be locking in these figures. The tap water is neutral, but medium hard.

Please, any advice?

Tanks!
Jennifer

Tags
water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com