Combining tanks (long & kinda rambling)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, what with work and school, my accumulation of mini-tanks is losing its appeal. Instead of setting up an entirely new tank in my empty 29-gal tall tank, I am thinking of combining my misc. small tanks into the big tank and then if there is any room left, getting a couple larger colorful fish. The inhabitants of the combined big tank would be:
2 male fancy guppies
2 female balloon mollys
2 ghost shrimp
6 blue tetra
2 zebra danios
1 hillstream loach

Additions I would like to make when the tanks are combined are:
3-5 corys
1 clown pleco
1-3 gourami depending on room
1 female balloon molly
Does this sound like a doable plan? Any advice for combining populations?The big tank will be set up near a window (by default), so will the pleco and loach be able to handle the algae? I've thought of posting the small tanks for a small price at work w/ or w/o fish, so the final population might be smaller. I just don't want the small tanks floating around, or I WILL fill them... :p

I need a hood for the 29 gal. tank but otherwise I would be using the gravel, plants and decorations from the small tanks. BTW, I have a hornwort (I think) plant that is just taking over the tank. I prune it back aggressively every time I do a water change, and it's still going nuts. Should I just chuck this plant? The other plants are 3 swordleafs and a lacy fern (not sure if it's a java).

Yeah, those fish would definalty fit in a 55gal, and I dont really see any problems with compatibility. You could maybe even get another small school of tetras in there.

I suggest canning the gouramis and adding to the danios instead; being they are schooling fish, 2 really isn't enough. I'd definitely add the corys, the other molly and the clown plec. Do know the clown plecs aren't real good algae eaters (if thats what you are getting it for); they prefer wood (make sure you have real driftwood in the tank for it.

I didn't know that, actually. I'm concerned about getting a good algae eater b/c I already have a huge algae bloom in my 6gal tank that only gets indirect sunlight. The place I have room for the 29 gal is right next to a window. What would be a good algae eater that won't outgrow the tank? I may just go for a cheap stand and put the big tank in the kitchen instead. Right now the danios are schooling with the tetras, but that may be b/c they're all the same size right now. No gouramis, huh? Well, guess that's the choice I have to make if I want to get down on my tank numbers. I do like the personalities of the mollys, though.

For algae eaters try otos or Rubber Lip pleco.
I suggest canning the gouramis and adding to the danios instead; being they are schooling fish, 2 really isn't enough.
However, if you don't want more danios, don't get anymore. (Personally, I have two tetras I don't care for~~they would probably like to be with more of their own, but they will have to make due with what I have :wink: )
For color, add a small school of Serpae Tetras (red and black).
Should I just chuck this plant?
Do you like it? If not--chuck it!

A bristlenose plc would suit both your tank and your purposes well :) They don't get over 6 inches, lurve algae and you can find em in brown colors, albino, regular fins and with long fins.

Back
Top Bottom