Common for heaters not to meet the temp you set?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdrone

Aquarium Advice Regular
I inherited a 20 gallon tank from my neighbors; I've had an issue or 2 but so far things have been pretty smooth over the last 4 months thanks to advice on this forum.

The heater that came with the tank didn't have any kind of markings you could use for setting temperature - you had to kind of experiment. The aquarium is in a corner of my family room, and the temp in that half of the room is about 68 degrees.

I got a Fluval 100w heater for Christmas. It has a dial with easy to use temp settings. I set it to about 78 degrees.

It keeps the aquarium at about 76.2 or 76.4 degrees. I can turn it all the way up and the water temp doesn't fluctuate. The water temp will actually fluctuate DOWN occasionally, which is odd. The room is probably a degree warmer the last couple of days, but the water temp has gone as low as 74.5.

I'd think the heater would be on all the time since the water temp isn't up to what I've set, but it cycles on and off like nothing is wrong. I have not gotten a different thermometer to double check things; I supposed I should do that.

Is this common? I know some people recommend 2 heaters in an aquarium for redundancy, but this heater is slightly oversized, and I thought it would do the job .

Is this the regular Fluval heater or the E-series?

If it's the regular heater, the markings on the knob are rarely calibrated well. Set the heater by your thermometer, not the knob temperature.

If it's the E-series, the temperature you set it to is what it's supposed to maintain the tank at. I've got a Fluval E100 in my 20H and I'm not impressed. It never gets the tank up to the 76 I've got it set at. It hovers around 73. I've got a Hydor Theo 100W heater in my 29g a foot away that does an excellent job of keeping the tank up to temp. I'm probably going to disassemble the E100 this week to see if I can find a problem.

It's a Fluval M. I've got the dial maxed and it won't get the temp above 76 and change.

That temp is OK, just annoying. Really annoying when it drops to 74 and change, as it did this weekend.

I've got two Aqueon 50W's in my 29gallon. One is supposed to be calibrated, but it is set on 72 is on almost all the time and the tank temp is 79-80. I need to turn it down even more to get both heaters working together better. I paid extra for the calibrated one so I guess its a pretty good scam the have going.

None of my heaters keep the temp I set them on. I don't even pay attention to that. I set them according to the thermometers in the tanks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

I have a Marineland "something" heater and it keeps the tank about 2-3° cooler than what I have it set, but it's extremely consistent (+/-.2), even if I turn it up or down.

uscamaro said:
I have a Marineland "something" heater and it keeps the tank about 2-3° cooler than what I have it set, but it's extremely consistent (+/-.2), even if I turn it up or down.

ML stealth pros are being recalled they explode. Turn off and take back asap.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

I dont pay attention to the numbers on the dial anymore. I just set the dial and wait and see where it puts the temp in the water a and adjust accordingly.

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

Sincerely,

Debbie Gonzalez
Vice President, Brand and Customer Marketing

Back
Top Bottom