Common goldfish & fancy goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know if you can keep common & fancy goldfish in the same tank? Would there be any issues?

Depends on the tank size. Commons get so big that unless you have a huuuuuge tank, they're really better suited to ponds. Also because fancies are slower and less powerful swimmers, there may be trouble getting a good amount of food to everybody. I'd say it's doable until the common outgrows the tank and really comes down to each individual fish.

I would suggest a fancy goldfish. A lot easier to keep and more practical in the long run. Commons you are looking around 300 gallons to keep both them and fancies considering the bioload.

coalcut said:
Anyone know if you can keep common & fancy goldfish in the same tank? Would there be any issues?

The majority Of resources I have read state to not keep single tailed species with fancies. This is mainly due to food competition.

Not a wise idea. Commons grow to be 12-18inches in length quite quickly and will outgrow most aquarium setups in less than a year. Fancies lack the speed and agility of commons thus making competition for food an issue. Fancies are better suited to an aquarium environment; commons realistically belong in a pond environment.

+1

IMO commons shouldn't be in a tank at all, unless it is a very large tank. They really belong in ponds.

--Adeeb

You actually can go a bit further with this in respect to fancies. Different types of fancies really should not be kept together as well. Black moors & telescopes should not be kept with regular fantails because they are sight-impaired due to their telescope eyes. Orandas & lionheads should only be kept with other orandas & lionheads due to their wen (other fantails may pick at it & it can impair sight as well). Celestials are severely vision impaired and only should be kept with other celestials. Bubble-eyes top the ranks for vision impairment & delicacy and realistically can not be kept with any other type of fish. Do your research before deciding what you would like to keep in your aquarium and you will be fine!

jlk said:
You actually can go a bit further with this in respect to fancies. Different types of fancies really should not be kept together as well. Black moors & telescopes should not be kept with regular fantails because they are sight-impaired due to their telescope eyes. Orandas & lionheads should only be kept with other orandas & lionheads due to their wen (other fantails may pick at it & it can impair sight as well). Celestials are severely vision impaired and only should be kept with other celestials. Bubble-eyes top the ranks for vision impairment & delicacy and realistically can not be kept with any other type of fish. Do your research before deciding what you would like to keep in your aquarium and you will be fine!

Also the rounder variety of pearl-scale should not be mixed with other breeds.

Reactions: jlk
I don't think you need to be so extreme as to separate different fancies in most cases. I have never seen anything that indicates that telescopes are significantly impaired visually. I have not seen other fancies nip at wens (but commons and koi can). Vision impairment with celestials and bubble-eyes is also questionable, their field of vision is impaired, but IME this does not inhibit their ability to feed or be a part of a mixed school. Considering that completely blind goldfish (no eyes at all) can function perfectly well in a mixed school, I think worrying about the different eye breeds is excessive.

Worrying about what CAN happen would lead you to keep all fish in solitary confinement. Two fantails of the exact same breed CAN start nipping. You can mix them and IF one proves that it doesn't play well with others then find it a more appropriate home.

Back
Top Bottom