common pleco food help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was some of the older members that talked me into it initially, and it is very entertaining to watch them munch on some fresh veggies. oto's require a diet of constantly grazing, I provide vegetables 1-2 nights a week week and drop in sinking wafers on different nights, usually 2-3 x week. There is never a trace of the wafers left in the mornings, and I remove whatever veggies are left in the morning as well. Although I know overfeeding can be an issue as well, I do fasts occasionally where I will only feed every other day or every 3rd day.

WoW
Really I put one wafer in a week and I keep my other fish busy with garlic Xtreme doused frozen bloodworms lol cause the other guys will beat the plec everytime and sometimes the assassin snails will get to it too b4 plec. I am following this thread to give my plec more of a variety espically of the vegggietables variety, but geez it has grown so much in such a short period that it seems like it is getting what it needs. Is it recommended to feed em that much? Like a daily basis? I have a common so I'm sure they grow as quick as any of em out there and yes it will be moved to 55 gal and then traded or upgraded to bigger tank lol......

I feed mine the cucumber, zucchini ( they don't really do zucchini like cucumber though the cucumber is almost completely gone by morning) also water melon. You want to see the most shy pleco come out during the day put that in. Leave a little red on it and they don't care who's watching then.

WoW
Really I put one wafer in a week and I keep my other fish busy with garlic Xtreme doused frozen bloodworms lol cause the other guys will beat the plec everytime and sometimes the assassin snails will get to it too b4 plec. I am following this thread to give my plec more of a variety espically of the vegggietables variety, but geez it has grown so much in such a short period that it seems like it is getting what it needs. Is it recommended to feed em that much? Like a daily basis? I have a common so I'm sure they grow as quick as any of em out there and yes it will be moved to 55 gal and then traded or upgraded to bigger tank lol......

The pleco by himself probably is fine with a few times a week being fed, and grazing throughout the tank the rest of the time. But try the veggies and you will enjoy watching all of your fish eat them. I have oto's right now and NO algae in my tank (it hasn't been up very long), so I am feeding more because I have heard of people losing oto's due to lack of proper food or adequate algae to graze on. If i had waited for a little algae to grow in my tank and then added the plecos and otos I probably wouldn't feed as much.

Oh,

Ok my tank is only a few months old too so I will def. add more veggies and the watermelon too!!!

Just one more repeat question I dont think was ever truly answered.

Can I get any of these veggies and fruit from regular markets or is it only wise to go to health food store, Trader Joe's, or make em yourself? (organic)?

Sorry if this was already answered.

It seems from everyones response's that it is fine to use whatever veggies just wash real good or microwave or boil I guess?

thanks ashleynicole also lol

If your going to buy fresh veggies I would buy organic because they're not supposed to use pesticides on those. But I still scrub them with a veggie brush. I also find buying frozen veggies in bulk at Sam's is a little less expensive because you only use small amounts and put the rest back in the freezer otherwise fresh veggies don't last as long before they perish, IME :)

I feed squash, pumpkin, brocoli stalks, melon rinds, lettuce, sweet potato, and carrot. I used to blanch zuccini and other floating vegetables , to make them sink. Blanched vegetables seem to turn more quickly making the water cloudy so I don't do it anymore. I anchor it or let it float.

Back
Top Bottom