Common Pleco Variations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there color variations to the common pleco? I was in need of a second for my 55 gal, and while going to buy one, I noticed an oddly colored pleco in the tank of commons. It is a lighter brown color, with even lighter brown stripes. It also seems to have a "sailfin", or a dorsal fin that fans out more than a normal common pleco. The picture attached is a little unclear, but you can just make out color of the pleco if your screen contrast is a little darker (atleast on my computer). I will try and take better pics tommorow or tonight.

Turn out the lights in the room, the picture is much clearer, lol.

Is this a common pleco? I've looked everywhere to find out what this is, and no luck so far. Thanks!

Eh....it's about *whips out a ruler*...3 1/2 - 4 inches long.

I'm going to look that up, thanks bunches keeper. Let you know if it is the same!

Nope, not the Gibbiceps Sailfin (L-83). Mine is not spotted. Very much solid colored, just very light brown.

*crosses fingers*

What if I have some exotic creature that I'm going to discover, and name... ?!?!

"Plecstomus Lindsayus" I can here it now :lol: 8)

Ok, I was checking it out last night, and it is spotted. Just not all the time. When I looked at it this morning, the color was much darker with no spots. So, I guess it could be a variation of the Gibbiceps Sailfin?? Perhaps a female? Every picture I have seen of the Gibbiceps shows them to be very much darker than mine is.

Anyone have any idea? I will try and get a better picture later today.

plecos do change color and intensity depending on mood and their surroundings - my 9" common has gone from solid dark brown to solid tan to white with black spots - quite a variation indeed :) but he is mostly a drab dk brown with lt brown spots

edit: the 9 incher isnt in my profile cause he isnt in my tank - he's in my roommate's

Ok, just went and took some new pictures, and here is what I have. Still not the best, but better than nothing. :roll:

The spots show up much more prominent in these pictures, but they aren't there all the time...weird. Thanks for looking.

Oh no the Pleco is surrounded by Albino Cories!!!!! :) (sorry had to post this)

Doesn't look like a female bristlenose to me..

Commons are funny that way. I was at a LFS and saw a gorgeous pleco and asked about it--"just a common." Oh well, it was nice looking. Am I correct in saying that you have two common plecos that have the potential to reach well over a foot long in the 55 gal tank??

Well, I don't think it's a common...It has a sailfin, and is colored very differently. Almost like a camoflague, that changes VERY frequently.

Am I correct in saying that you have two common plecos that have the potential to reach well over a foot long in the 55 gal tank??

You are correct Menagerie. Although, it wasn't my intention to house the two together in the first place. I thought it was so neat looking, so I bought it. I planned on sticking it in my new 29 gal tank once it was cycled and all, but then decided to convert that tank to SW. The one common pleco in my 55 gal, just wasn't doing the job, and has grown maybe 2 inches since I got it over 2 years ago. I hope they will be ok for a while, but mom and dad will make me get rid of the tank when I go away to a 4 yr. college, so...no more new fishies for me.

I'm setting up the saltwater against there wishes. :roll: Not the smartest thing to do I know, since I will be leaving in a year or two, but... It's so tempting.

Any ideas on the pleco anyone?

Keeper back again. I can't get over how much your pleco looks like my gibbiceps....wish I had a camera so I could take a pic of mine!! I have no idea what else it could be.

Anyone seen Hypostomus.....he/she would probably know!(darn computer gender problem)

Keeper back again. I can't get over how much your pleco looks like my gibbiceps

It probably is...or atleast that is my current guess. (Thanks, by the way) But, all of the current pictures I have seen of the Gibbiceps are so dark, and the spots are so defined. That is why I was wondering if there was the possibility that mine was a female or something? I dunno, I just think it is one cool pleco, and I wanna know what it is! :lol:

imo it looks like a common. when i had a common (b4 it jumped out :'( ) it had a pretty big dorsal. not as big as yours but still like 3/4 2/3's as big

yours has 2 more rays (not counting but by length) and i think mine had. so i guess it is a sailfin form. maybe a sailfin common?

I've ruled out the fact that it is a common..I just don't think it is....

A gibbiceps sailfin more like it...but perhaps a variation of that. I may send hypostomus a PM later, and see if he/she knows anything about it...

Thanks for all your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom