Community Bottom-Dweller.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fathomed

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'm looking for a good community bottom-feeder so I don't have to worry about the fish food accumulating and getting dirty.

I use to have a Rainbow Shark but then I got a new tank and seperated my semi-agressive and community fish into 2 different tanks. It's too bad my community has mostly middle-top dwellers.

I would like some suggestions on community bottom feeders. Maybe oto cats? But I'm afraid of buying them and then having them die because they have a habit of dying when migrating into new tanks - so I hear anyway.

I'm housing the community tank in a 20 gallon with 5 tetras and 4 cherry barbs. I think there's still room for a few more fish but yeah I don't want to buy something that'll outgrow.

Ottos wont really eat left over food they like their veggies. Cory cats are the fish you are looking for. 3-5 will do a good job and they are a lot of fun to keep.

I second the recommendation for some Corydoras. They are the perfect bottom feeders and very well behaved. The otos you can get if you have an algae problem.

Do Corydoras have tough skin? maybe I can buy two, one for my community and one for my sem-agressive. I don't want them to pick on though.

No, I would not put cories in with semi-aggressive. What size is the tank with the semi-aggressive and who is in there?

It is a 40g with a Rainbow Shark and a SAE. That's all so far, which is why I'm hoping to put more in there. XD

I don't think either of those fish would bother cories, but what else are you going to put in with them? I would not add them and cause yourself worries later. Just get a school for your community tank.

I'll just chime in to agree. Anytime people ask about a bottom feeder for a community tank the first suggestion will be cories. Definitely get more than one. If you want to only get one bottom dweller then you should think about a bristlenose pleco. I'd say get five cories. They don't get too big and they are awesome, peaceful, and fun to watch. If you want something a little more exciting you should research catfish and find a peaceful fish that won't get too big for your tank. Another possibility would be a dojo loach (or two). I'm not sure about loaches but I think dojo or kuhlis can be good community fish. Not sure how good they are at cleaning up the bottom, but there aren't any fish who will actually serve as a real cleaner for your gravel. Some just make it slightly easier.

I love my Peppered Corydoras they are a lot of fun to watch and they clean up well.

I know I will get beat up for this but I love my plecos! they are perfect cleaners, if you are worried about the sz they will get you could always get a handful of MTS and they will rock the house!!
I just bought 2 albino cories and they don't go near the bottom that much, I guess they are feeling out their new environment. GL

yeah, I think I'll go for a the cories in a peaceful community. What about me semi-agressive? I don't really need one, but suggestions are nice.

the best for semi-agressive and agressive are the MTS (malasian trumpet snails) they burry into the substrate, are never seen and eat the left overs by traveling under the gravel/substrate other than that i am not sure but the snail population won't spike up if the semi-agressives can eat snails(baby MTS have softer shells and are good snacks) I had 1 with puffers and they ate the babies and the 1 MTS does a great job. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom