community tank advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CFoster89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi im just posting my new set up. all fish seem happy no problems currently

I'm kind of new to keeping aquariums and I'm looking for your opinions of my set up, if you see any problems please tell me and any suggestions of fish that would go well with thus set up. I'm wanting to get rid of the 5 guppies and want to add some more fish but not decided yet

120 litres main tank
Plenty plants and bogwood
1 male and 1 female platty (do i need more females?)
2 male and 3 female guppys (want to get rid)
2 honey gouramis
1 blue dwarf gourami
5 neon tetras (do I need more?)
6 otto catfish
1 female fighting fish (wanted a male but not compatable with guppies)
1 red tail black shark (still young)
Red cherry shrimp

The red tail black shark is too big and active to livening this size. 55 gallons is the minimum. The rest is good tho are you sure your gouramis are 1 male and 2 females? Females are a ugly brown color and often not sold.

I'm not sure to be honest I'm unsure how to tell with the gouramis only just got these, they don't seem obvious like plattys and guppies to tell

Also do you think the female fighter will be good with the rest, I take it they are not as aggressive as the males?

Attachments

• image-975498837.jpg
    image-975498837.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 144
  • image-499993341.jpg
    image-499993341.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3357857821.jpg
    image-3357857821.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 121
To new it looks like a male blue powder and 2 male flames. Which is a problem. But not sure if it is or not

I was told when I bought the two yellow gouramis that the darker red tail one was male and the plane one maybe female but I don't know

Why do you think this could be a problem? Them all being males or that there is two types?

If more than 1 male they will fight till 1 is left. May not be right away, but soon they will.

How can you tell there sex? If they are all male then i will properly get rid of the two flame ones and keep the blue

The two yellowish ones are honey gouramis and the other is a dwarf gourami.
The Honey Gourami- (Trichogaster chuna)
Dwarf gourami-(Colisa lalia)

The two yellow gouramis swim around happily together that's why I'm thinking one is female

So from the pictures further up the thread, can anyone else confirm the three gouramis sex for me please really want to be sure

They are two different species. I actually recently bred the honey gouramis and the female gets a dark patch near the anal area. Yours look too young to sex.
As for the red one it Is a different species.

The Honey Gourami- (Trichogaster chuna)
Dwarf gourami-(Colisa lalia)

Even though they may be different species my concern is the males fighting if there is more than one. Does the dwarf look like a female or male to you? Or will this not matter if they are different species, do the males from different gourami species still fight?

I'm no expert but honey gouramis are always very peaceful. As for the other gourami I think it can be aggressive with certain fish.
Which species do you prefer is what it comes down to. If you are worried about aggression just pick one species and find a new home for the other(s).
How long have you had them?

Had them a couple week and have had no problems
The two honeys stick together swimming about freely and the dwarf who is a lot bigger seems to just keep its self to its self
I really like all three of them so hopefully they will be compatable and won't need to get rid what do you think

Also have u read what else is in my tank

They should be fine. I personally would rehome the platys and the guppies because they produce a lot of waste. Or you could add one more platy (I heard they like groups) and add 5 neon tetras. If you do add fish make sure you don't keep the guppies and or platys because you don't want to be overstocked. Also if I were you I would rehome the shark and get a group of corys and a bn pleco. You could also look into kuhli loaches. They are very active and very cool. I would just keep one group of bottom feeders. It's up to you!

I already have 6 otto catfish as bottom feeders. I have 5 neons but want to add more and ye want to add some sunset plattys to go with the two I already have. Looking to rehome all the guppys. Maybe add another mollie to go with the one I already have. Il rehome the shark when it starts to get big. What do u think?

I thought I would still have plenty room in this tank?

Back
Top Bottom