Compact fluorescent bulbs in an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dekz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I use those new fangled compact fluorescent energy saving long lasting bulbs for my fish tanks? I think the color of light that they put out would look awesome.

Something like these:
img_959234_0_e706357812329077941cb833befc42ac.jpg

If so can I just put them in my regular light hood, where I normally run these?
img_959234_1_ca381aad0a7394c5e3b18b35fcf60862.jpg

I have them in mine.. if you dont have plants that require a lot of light. its fine. The fish dont seem to care any lol. they will produce a little more algea though. so have a cleanup crew on standby

I wish I would have thought of this months ago. The difference was so profound that I had to take a picture.

Obviously it's not completely blinding like in the picture, but it looks absolutely amazing. It's like looking at a normal tank with crappy lighting and then looking at a saltwater tank. I can't wait until I get up tomorrow so I can go buy 4 more bulbs for the other tanks.

I currently don't have any live plants, I have thought about it though. So I guess the wattage listed on these bulbs isn't accurate in regards to having plants? I knew 12 watts per gallon was too good to be true :p

Check this out:

If you use 2 15W CFLs you have 135% of the total listed wattage as far as the WPG 'rule' goes. so 30W = 40.5 W effective, or 4 WPG in your 10g.

this depends on the quality of your reflector. The "twist" bulbs are slighlty less effecient and getting actual usable light into the aquarium. A lot of wasted light goes out of the tank. The Reflector is KEY. I use the CFLs with a mirrored reflector. My tank is planted and the new lighting really helps. I have 2 15w CFLs with i would say is prolly closer to the 30w WPG rule so giving me 3.0 wpg.

Back
Top Bottom