Compact Lighting Breaking My Glass Top!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericmatz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Really need some help on this one. I am on my fourth All-Glass aquarium top in 5 weeks.

Here is the scenario: I have a 38 gallon All-Glass aquarium. I decided to try a heavily planted tank, which of course requires lots of light. I opted to go with the All-Glass 110 watt compact light fixture, giving me nearly 3 watts per gallon. Since this fixture is much larger than the standard fluorescent, my old hood won't work. I had to get one of the All-Glass Twin-Tube Glass tops, which have a wider piece of glass under the light.

Now the problem: The wide piece of glass keeps breaking right down the middle. The nice folks at Aquarium Adventure have replaced it each time, and have tried to help me find a solution. Now we are all at a loss.

What I am currently trying is this. The 38 gallon tank is 36" wide, and there is a plastic piece down the center. The glass top is held together by a hard rubber hinge, and that hinge spans the length of the glass top except the two sides, so the glass rests on the inner lip of the aquarium trim. Now since that plastic strip runs down the middle of the tank and is level with the trim, the hinge rests on that. This causes the glass to raise slightly and possibly bow. The current theory is that the bowed glass along with the intense heat of the compact light is what causes the breakage, so I placed strips of acrylic along the lip of the trim, raising the glass up so it does not have upward pressure from the center strip. Of course, now the light is resting completely on the glass (whereas before, I think it was resting on the sides of the aquarium). I'm wondering if this will be a problem.

If anyone has an thoughts on this, please email me eric(at)matz.com . I'm really getting tired of taking broken glass back to the store, and this is the last time I'll be getting a replacement.

Thanks!

Hiya ericmatz and welcome to Aquariumadvice.

Some questions to clarify a few things:

Split down the middle...lengthwise? Widthwise?

Are they coming from the same shipment?

Do you have any cats?

[center:2bbd744eab]:smilecolros: Welcome to AA, ericmatz!! :smilecolros:[/center:2bbd744eab]
My fiancé thought our cat would break the top on our 50 gal tank. So far, so good, but we don't have a ton of lights!

The heat from those bulbs is most likely breaking them, try wedging the light fixture up so theres some space for heat to escape from under neath, and allow ventilation between the bulbs and the glass.

Allivymar said:
Hiya ericmatz and welcome to Aquariumadvice.

Some questions to clarify a few things:

Split down the middle...lengthwise? Widthwise?

Are they coming from the same shipment?

Do you have any cats?

Split from front-to-back...right along the plastic trim piece.

Originally was special order, but they ordered more to keep on hand when I ordered mine. Probably means they are the same shipment.

I have cats, but I have yet to catch them on top of the tank. I wondered if maybe they were jumping up there, causing enough pressure with the heat to break the glass. I need to get some cameras...they also like to pee in places they shouldn't. Grrr... :eek: :evil:

William said:
The heat from those bulbs is most likely breaking them, try wedging the light fixture up so theres some space for heat to escape from under neath, and allow ventilation between the bulbs and the glass.

That was my first gut response. But the salespeople said they'd never seen the heat cause breakage and swore up and down that shouldn't happen. With the strips of acrylic, glass sits just a bit higher than the aquarium trim, and the way the bottom of the light is designed, there is a bit of space now (see attached photo). I could try elevating the light with a few strips of acrylic for more ventilation, unless someone has a better idea.

Even with 3 wpg, I wouldn't expect the heat to crack the glass unless its somehow defective (maybe contaminants in the production process?); I run more then that on my 10g (a mix of plant lighting and actinic for 42 watts total), and the glasstop has never shown signs of cracking even tho the lights sit on top of the glass.

Because its split along the plastic piece, which I believe to be the weakest part of the top, I tend to suspect the cats. Heat might not make the glass crack along that area, but a weight, such as a big fat cat might LOL especially if the cat is jumping on it. And yes, I've caught my cat sleeping on top of the tanks he can get up on (not the 10g tho thank god LOL but my 25g and my 55g).

Can you get us a good pic of the break?

Well, perhaps I should get a wood canopy to cover the whole thing. Been thinking about that...

No pics of the break...already had the glass replaced. Hopefully won't have another opportunity. :D

Something else you may want to try. Try building a small risor for each end of the light fixture that will "lift" the fixture up about 2-3 inches off the top. This will give you some ventilation also if you think that heat might be a problem. You can glue these little "holders" that you make to the fixture and they will rest on the outside frame of the tank. If you don't know what I am talking about I can probably draw up a sketch that might be able to help. Some small pieces of wood should do it.

HTH

Mike

Here's the deal, the same thing happened to me. I called all-glass they know about the problem and have replaced my tops under warranty. They decided to change glass vendors and ARE NOT using tempered glass!!! They will re-imburse you if you have the glass replaced by a glass shop or send you (1) set of new tops...

Hope this helps. I opped for the tempered glass, no problems since!!!

Holy cow, thanks for the tip! My top broke again...thought I was stuck. Guess not! I'll call them.

Oh wow luv2ride; thanx for the heads up! Have a few kudos for solving the mystery AND taking your time to contact them :)

Well, I talked to Linda at All Glass. She was nice and all, but I'm not sure she understood what I was getting at. I tried to explain the problem, and told her what luv2ride said, but she just danced around what I was saying. I was on the road at the time, so couldn't really concentrate on the phone call. Anyway, she's calling my LFS to credit them so they can replace my top. Then I'll be calling her back next week to tell her it's broken, no doubt. :?

Ouch! I would try calling again, and speak with someone different. How many glass tops have you gone through? They are not doing good business by continually replacing the tops. They need to replace the top with something that will not break!!!
Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom