Compadability question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quitters

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey there

ive read that red tail sharks can be agressive to bottom feeders, but not usually to other small tetras as long as it has space, i had one for a year and he was pretty aggressive to tetras (cardinals, gold, rednose) and not so much to my spotted catfish or pleco. i also had a blue gourami in there (could this have effected behaviour

Im starting a new tank with cardinals, gold, black widow tetras and a pleco, and i would love to be able to keep a red tailed shark, so im going to take a chance with it and the tetras, so my question is are there some bottom-feeders that are ok with the red-tail sharks or is it a general territory thing?

Tank details:

29 gallon
Planted (lots of plants and hiding spaces including some ground cover plants)

Any help much appreciated, thanks..

ive just read that they dont really like tetras either dam. Do u guys think if i chose one that 'looked' peaceful i would have a higher chance. i love them so much! :(

Yeh ive heard that too, its really confusing

thank for your input i think im gonna get one and see how it goes but if anyone has had a good experience with them in a community tank with tetras oh and guppies too forgot to mention please tell me about it

thanks!

Yeh ive heard that too, its really confusing

thank for your input i think im gonna get one and see how it goes but if anyone has had a good experience with them in a community tank with tetras oh and guppies too forgot to mention please tell me about it

thanks!

If you like the sharks, might look into the rainbow shark. They don't seem to be near as aggressive to other fish as the red tails. I really haven't seen red tails bother other fish too much, but rainbows, IME, are a little less aggressive to other fish. Plus they are just as much fun to watch. :)

Also, I had my rainbow shark and albino rainbow shark in with tetras and rasboras, completely ignored them. Even ignored the dojo loaches as well as my striped loaches. They are now all in my 55G, with a dojo, yoyo's, striped (zebra) loaches, skunk loaches, and others, and no aggression to them at all. Just an occasional chase if my rams get too close to his cave.

Back
Top Bottom