Company for our Channel Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjohnson75

Aquarium Advice Newbie
we have a medium size (maybe 6 inches) albino channel catfish who just lost his bff a blue gourami...I'm thinking of adding 2 medium size parrot fish to the tank......any suggestions or advice?? Most people have said if they aren't too small they should be fine together....mind you the cat had eaten all of our smaller fish in the past.

Thanks again!!

What size tank is the channel cat in? You do realize these things can grow to be monsters? Typically the rule of thumb is if it will fit in it's mouth it will eat it. I personally feel these fish should not be kept in aquariums.

we have a 30 gal now....looking for a 55 or preferably 75 gal...I know he will get big....at some point we will have to get rid of him (I've heard of them getting larger than 18")

That's the rule of thumb I have been told several times too...

A lot of people don't think they should be sold for aquariums...too bad the shops don't think of that.

Thanks!

I wouldn't add any fish. That tank is crowded with the catfish all by himself.

Go to your local Bass Pro or Cabelas. The big catfish in their tanks are usually channel cats. The biggest I've seen is about three feet in length and weighed at least 50lb.

Back
Top Bottom