compatability question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noobaquarists

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi guys so i have a quick question i have 6 tiger barbs and 4 green barbs in a 30 gallon tank and i was wondering what i could put in with them? i was thinking about 6 neon tetras and a pictus and a few cories and a few variatus platies will this work? thanks in advance

noobaquarists said:
hi guys so i have a quick question i have 6 tiger barbs and 4 green barbs in a 30 gallon tank and i was wondering what i could put in with them? i was thinking about 6 neon tetras and a pictus and a few cories and a few variatus platies will this work? thanks in advance

All of them will be fine maybe after a year or two your pictus will have the tetras but hey hoe :) I recommend gouramis with barbs for sure!

The neons are too passive for the barbs.

The pictus need to be in groups, not kept as individuals and your tank is too small for the species.

With barbs, you really need to stock semi-aggressive species, not peaceful like the platies and neons.

Corys are probably fine with them.

ok thanks everyone for the info i was told not to trust gouramis with the barbs tho was that bad info and what about an adult angel?

noobaquarists said:
ok thanks everyone for the info i was told not to trust gouramis with the barbs tho was that bad info and what about an adult angel?

At work we have a tank with six tiger barbs six green barbs six golden barbs and around 12 platys also glow stick tetra cobalt blue gouramis and red robin gouramis one pleco for cleaning and a couple rainbow fish. They all get on fine with no nipped fins at all but we did have one adult angel fish and he nipped everything that moved so had to bring him home. Pictus will be fine on its own and I'm sure by the time it out grows the tank you will be due an upgrade to a larger one anyway :)

I respectfully disagree.... just because you CAN keep a single pictus, doesn't mean you SHOULD keep a single pictus.

Should only be kept in a group of 5 (more if space permits); when kept singly the fish is frequently less active and more prone to stress-related health issues.

Read more: Pictus Catfish (Pimelodus pictus) Profile

Back
Top Bottom