Compatibility and Sizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hazarrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would greatly appreciate any comments on having the following in a 55-gallon:

1 Angelfish
2 Redline torpedo barbs
1 Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (or 1 Midas Cichlid)
1 Bala Shark
1 Gold Nugget Pleco
5 Giant Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras

If you think this is overstocked, or if you think there are issues with compatibility, or if you think I need more or less of any type, please feel free to suggest changes.

Thanks!

Hazarrd said:

1 Angelfish
2 Redline torpedo barbs
1 Bala Shark
1 Gold Nugget Pleco
5 Giant Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras

If you think this is overstocked, or if you think there are issues with compatibility, or if you think I need more or less of any type, please feel free to suggest changes.

Thanks!

The bala shark will be too big and the Midas Cichlid will kill your fish. With the barbs, rasboras, and danios will need a total of six fish per school. Not quite sure how big the barbs get.

Thanks for the quick response. I will use the Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid instead of the Midas. Regarding the Bala Shark, is there another type of shark that you can recommend for this tank composition?

Hazarrd said:
Thanks for the quick response. I will use the Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid instead of the Midas. Regarding the Bala Shark, is there another type of shark that you can recommend for this tank composition?

Maybe MAYBE a rainbow shark

Hazarrd said:

Neither of those fish are actual "sharks". I have no idea why people call them that.

1 Angelfish
2 Redline torpedo barbs
1 Bala Shark
1 Gold Nugget Pleco
5 Giant Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras

Thanks!

Ditch the bala ... They get huge and need at leat a 125gal in all honesty. Up the
Denison barbs to 3 even 4 if you want a small school ... These are one of the few barbs you can keep in a small school.

Do people generally agree that this tank composition is sufficiently stocked as I described (and as supplemented by those who have responded)? Do I have room for more?

The bala shark's what puts you over in stocking due to their large adult size and energy
A rainbow shark with another bottom dweller (pleco) will probably not end well. Rainbow Sharks are territorially aggressive, especially to similar looking fish and a Pleco may look close enough.

My rainbow is fine with my pleco. I have never seen any true aggression with him if somebody gets too close to his area he tries to charge them no actual contact though. My other fish have figured this out and they no longer take him serious! Lol

Here is my revised tank. Would greatly appreciate any additional comments.

1 angelfish
2 barbs
6 celestial pearl danios
8 harlequin rasbora
8 neon tetras
1 hi fin lyretail swordtail
6 silver hatchetfish
5 fiddler crabs
5 nerite snails

1 Angelfish
2 Redline torpedo barbs
1 Bala Shark
1 Gold Nugget Pleco
5 Giant Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras

Thanks!
The Barbs and Ciclids will kill/nip at the other fish, not recommended. The Bala will outgrow your tank eventually.

Barbs are notorious for fin nipping slower fish, like your Angel fish. I am talking from experience, I had to get rid of all of my Barbs in order to have a peaceful tank.

So my current tank has only the one angel fish and two barbs. These will be put in the new 55 gallon tank, along with the other fish I mentioned. The barbs have gotten along well with the angel.

I'm reading that the angel might eat the neon tetras or danios. How likely is that? Does having only 1 angel help the situation at all?

So my current tank has only the one angel fish and two barbs. These will be put in the new 55 gallon tank, along with the other fish I mentioned. The barbs have gotten along well with the angel.

I'm reading that the angel might eat the neon tetras or danios. How likely is that? Does having only 1 angel help the situation at all?

I have Giant Danios in three tanks and have never seen them bother other fish. I actually have a ten gallon tank with about 75 Danios fry about 1" long. They have been put into my 55 and my 25 with no problems. Until yesterday, my Angel fish have been in another tank with neon's and they never tried eating them or anything else to them.

My adult angels ate all of my neons as well as some of my glolite tetras, I even think they turned two panda cories into a snack! It probably depends on how big your angel is, but I believe cardinal tetras are their natural food source in the wild so a neon or similar could become potential food!

Thanks, very helpful. I've had my angel for around 2 years, and I would say it measures around 3-4" (most likely fully grown). The neons that I'll be getting are jumbo; around 1.5 inches. Not sure if that makes a difference?

Back
Top Bottom