Compatibility and stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chadthedad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the planning stages for my 75 Gallon aquarium. Here are some specifics:

75 Gallon Aquarium
Fluval 404 filter
heater
dual tube strip light
artificial plants

Here are the species I am thinking about:

Boesemani Rainbow
Hi Fin Lyretail Swordtail
Otocinclus
Neon Tetra
Zebra Danio
Glowlight Tetra
Red Cherry Shrimp

My questions...

1. Are all of these compatible? They all seem to be rated as peaceful and their requirements are compatible based on what I've read.

2. How many of each should I get so I don't over crowd the aquarium? (I realize personal preference applies but I'd like to know what you think)

I'm not brand new to FW aquariums but want hardy fish just in case. Are there any other fish you would suggest that would work better than some on my list or be more colorful?

Any advice would be great!

Your fish will definately snack on the baby Cherry Red Shrimp and some of the larger fish may snack on the juveniles and adults as well. I'd recommend establishing the shrimp popluation before adding fish to help prevent them being completely wiped out. Heavy planting with lots of hiding places will be a must. The other option is to keep a colony of the shrimp in another aquarium (10 gallon works well) and then supplement the 75 gallon with additional shrimp occationally.

I think your stock list would be fine with what Joy suggested. Good luck should be a colorfull and active tank.

You could put some nice sized groups of those fish in the tank without a worry. I would say 5 of the rainbows and 5-6 of the giant danios and then a dozen each of the smaller tetras. The swordtails should be in a 3 to 1 female to male ratio. I would not do more than 6 with all the other fish you want.

Thank you for all the feedback. I appreciate it.

One other question. It sounds like RCS are prolific breeders. This could lead to overcrowding. How do you manage this? How do you get rid of the "extra" shrimp? Do LFS buy or take them regularly?

Thanks!

Thank you for all the feedback. I appreciate it.

One other question. It sounds like RCS are prolific breeders. This could lead to overcrowding. How do you manage this? How do you get rid of the "extra" shrimp? Do LFS buy or take them regularly?

Thanks!

Red Cherry Shrimp are prolific breeders, but this generally only becomes a space issue if you have them in a species aquarium. When kept with other fish, at best the population will grow slowly and at worst will be demolished. I know many people have LFS that will take them off their hands, but this varies from LFS to LFS. While I've had a couple LFS express interest, they've never actually bought any. I have no problem selling mine through my Local Fish Club and through the forums.

Well the wife didn't like the shrimp idea. She doesn't like creepy crawlers.

So... Here is my stocking plan as of now.

12 Neon Tetras
5 Bosemani Rainbows
4 Otocinclus
18 Glofish (Genetically altered Zebra Danios)

These would be in a 75 gallon aquarium. Would this be overstocked, understocked, or just right?

I think that will be a nice stocking. You could add some bottom dwellers to the mix. One on the dwarf plecos or a group of corys would be perfect.

Okay just so I understand correctly... This is a good stock level and not overcrowded?

12 Neon Tetras
5 Bosemani Rainbows
6 Otocinclus
18 Glofish (Genetically altered Zebra Danios)
6 Panda Corys

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom