compatibility goldfish and bristlenose plecstomus.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish lover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I was wondering if I good get one of those bristlenose in my 55 gallon tank. I have algae problems, so he seems like the guy. I have 4 goldfish on the tank. So would it work or do I have to use snails. Thanks guys.

What type of algae?
What kind of goldfish?
What is the nitrate concentration?
What is the water change schedule?
What are you feeding?

Hi um I'm kinda a bigginer, so I don't know what kind of alge it is. On the glass it looks brown and on my decorations it looks black with some green and Brown. The fish are 2 common and 2 faintail. One of the common goldfish is around 4 inches, he's the biggest. The other common is around 3 and the faintails are like 2. I do 25% water change weekely. I'm feeding then reagular goldfish flakes in morning and at night. I don't have a test kit right now so I don't know about the nitrate.

Buy a nitrate test kit, liquid, not strips.

Feed pellets, they fill them up better and are cleaner. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum, specifically the Thera+A formula. The 3mm (Thera+A Large) should be perfect for them.

Increase the size of the water changes a little each time until you get to about 50% weekly. For now increase the frequency to once every 1-3 days. This will help get the extra nutrients out and starve the algae.

Bristlenose plecos are a great option, trapdoor snails would be good too.

If you are interested PM me for links to a couple articles on goldfish that I wrote.

You should also feed sinking pellets bc they can suck in air when they feed for flakes at the surface and get swim bladder problems. Where they just float upside down at the surface. Mine has it currently

Swim bladder and buoyancy problems can have numerous causes, form poor water quality, to poor food quality, floating pellets, etc. An infection could cause it and have nothing to do with the food or water.

I think they used to but no longer do, at least not all of them. Almost anywhere else should be able to get them for you, even if they don't regularly stock them. There are even many captive bred varieties.

Ok thanks I acually got one at world of fish in Minneapolis. He's doing gods so far I got some algae waffers and some wood for him to.

Back
Top Bottom