compatibility question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subliminalanarchy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so my aquarium is a 30 gallon hex. Right now I have 6 neons and one dwarf gourami! I was thinking about getting 2 female bettas because I heard the females are good community fish. Do you think it will work or will my gourami go crazy? I have seen him jump at the tetras once or twice but it seems to be more of a 'get out of my way' jump than anything else. Anyone have any first hand experience with this combination? Or just an educated guess?

Thanks

Okay so my aquarium is a 30 gallon hex. Right now I have 6 neons and one dwarf gourami! I was thinking about getting 2 female bettas because I heard the females are good community fish. Do you think it will work or will my gourami go crazy? I have seen him jump at the tetras once or twice but it seems to be more of a 'get out of my way' jump than anything else. Anyone have any first hand experience with this combination? Or just an educated guess?

Thanks

I had a betta and honey gouramis once. The gouramis didn't make it and the afterwards the betta never calmed down trying to kill everything it saw! I was told by someone on the forum "what do you expect, bettas and gouramis are natural enemies and shouldn't be together" Many others chimed in and said WHAT? I have kept the 2 together before with no problems.

From those different opinions I think it's a case of try and see and have a back up plan ready.

It all depends on the personality of the fish. I've had female bettas that were bullies and others that got along well with everyone. I've heard the same from people with dwarf gouramis.

I'd lean away from adding bettas to a tank with dwarf gouramis, unless I had another tank ready to go if they didn't get along. Gouramis and Bettas are both anabantids and can really have mean streaks.

Okay. Ya that was kind of what I was expecting to hear but I'm glad to get the confirmation. Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom