Compatibility Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westward13

Aquarium Advice Regular
This question is probably best posed to Fruitbat for his experience with Senegal Bichirs. Is there any chance of keeping a Rope Fish with my Senegal Bichir or will the two become agressive towards one another? If so, would my Pl*co be a potential hazard to the Rope Fish as I've been told he'd be to the Senegal Bichir at some point in the future? And lastly, is my 75 gallon too small to house the three of them?

westward13...

There shouldn't be any problem keeping a Rope Fish Erpetoichthys calabaricus with a Polypterus senegalus as long as the Rope Fish is larger. I've got a grow-out tank right now that has 5 young P. senegalus in it ranging in size from 3 - 4 inches. There's also a Rope Fish in there that is about 9 inches long but not much bigger around than the senegalus. They're all getting along just fine.

Personally, I wouldn't keep a 'pleco' type of cat with bichirs. Though I personally haven't experienced it (I've never kept them together), there are reports of the 'pleco' rasping on the hard ganoid scales of the bichirs and causing damage that leads to infections. I like my bichirs too much to risk it.

Your 75 gallon will easily house the Polypterus and Erpetoichthys...though I'll predict that as they grow you'll begin to notice the Cory cats and Swordtails start to disappear. Eventually the Danios will disappear as well, though the Gouramis will probably manage to hang on successfully. While Swordtails and Danios are much faster than the bichirs....the bichirs hunt at night when the other fish are asleep and immobile. If you decide you want a bichir tank then you could quite easily house a couple more good-sized Polypterus individuals as well....especially some of the 'smaller' species like senegalus, palmas, polli, retropinnis and even delhezi. Larger beasts like endlicheri, lapradei, bichir and ornatipinnis might eventually feel a little cramped.

Hope this helps! :D

That's definitely good news... I'd actually very much like to make my tank a Polypterus tank. Initially, I became interested in them when I saw a baby ornatipinnis in the lfs. I found out afterwards that he would eventually become too large for my 75, so I ended up getting the senegalus instead. I've got a 10 gallon that I'm going to set up in the very near future and once it's cycled, I plan on moving the cory cats into it. The swordtails and danios will either be left in the main tank as food or given away. Thanks for your help, Fruitbat!

Back
Top Bottom