Compatibility Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westward13

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I originally set my 75 gallon tank up back in the beginning of March '04, it was with the intention of getting a freshwater stingray. Over the past few months, I decided that I was probably never going to get one for several reasons. I realize teacup stingrays aren't always as labeled and that they could very well end up getting larger than anticipated due to the difficulty of accurately deciphering the specific type of ray it might be. That said, I've taken a chance and have actually purchased a small healthy-looking teacup ray from my lfs. I'm going away for the next 5 days but will be picking it up next Thursday and was hoping for some opinions as to which of my current fish I'm going to need to bring back to the store. Personally, I'd rather not part with any of them but I don't want to put the ray under any additional stress. As it stands, I'm already breaking one of the cardinal rules of aquarium keeping in that I don't have a quarantine tank set up for the ray. I have a 10 gallon that I will simultaneously be getting up and running but it may be a couple of weeks before it's completely cycled using filter media and some of the water from my existing aquarium.

Of the fish listed in my current profile below, which of them do you think I should definitely return to the store? My guess is that the pleco(risk of sucking on the ray's disc), the bichirs(relatively aggressive) and possibly the tinfoil barb(also semi-aggressive although it seems to leave the bottom dwellers alone) might have to go. Can anyone share some suggestions. I'd really love to keep at least one of the bichirs if it's at all possible. Please help!

Thanks!

Chris

As a follow-up to my initial posting, I realize that a few of the fish in my tank are too small to keep with the ray (and the bichirs) once it gets larger but the cory cats will be moved in the 10g shortly and the swordtails are technically food for the larger bichir(5-6 inches) at this point (since he's been picking them off one by one over the past few weeks).

Anyone?

Just as a quick follow-up, I'm also getting the ray with all intentions of upgrading my tank within the next couple of years to a size that will better suit him.

I'm sorry no one has answered your post yet. I know nothing about rays or what they are compatible with so I can't help ya. Hopefully someone who can will post soon. Good luck.

I keep reading this and just don't think the fish you have now will be compatable with the ray, but I never looked into the needs of a ray. PM Fruitbat and Toirtis for help.

Back
Top Bottom