Compatible catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyuubi3160

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Its a long way off but in the future I am planning on getting my first large aquarium. My plan is to start with an arowana and work my stocking list around that, staying within the south american biotope.

I will want a large catfish for this tank and I've really fell in love with the shovelnose tiger catfish. I've researched them online and I have been seeing different info on how large they get. Some say they get about 3' and others say they can reach over 4.

If anyone has experience with these fish I would like to hear your opinion and if you think this won't work what catfish you would recommend as an alternative. The tank size I am planning on is 535 gal 8'L x 4'W x 2.5'T. Thanks!

Red tail catfish are pretty cool they get 3 to 3.5 feet
I love redtails but i've read they get to 4.5 feet. I've also seen the episode of river monsters where he catches a 90lb redtailed catfish, which is way more than I think I would be able to handle. Still an awesome fish though, if i ever have the opportunity to get a REALLY huge tank I would definitely get one :D

Idk if you would be able to get ahold of one or not but I've seen a hybrid of a red tail catfish and a tiger shovel nose and it is probably the coolest catfish I've ever seen!! You might be able to find it on you tube

Idk if you would be able to get ahold of one or not but I've seen a hybrid of a red tail catfish and a tiger shovel nose and it is probably the coolest catfish I've ever seen!! You might be able to find it on you tube

That is a pretty sweet looking fish! As for where to find a normal tiger shovelnose they are occasionally available at liveaquaria.com the page is here: Freshwater Aquarium Fish: Tiger Shovelnose Catfish

I just found a site offering a redtail/shovelnose hybrid Redtail Cat / Shovelnose (hybrid) regular as cool as the fish is I'm trying to go more natural with the stocking, but if I can't find a regular shovelnose anywhere right away I think I might just have to get one of these!!

Back
Top Bottom