Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Glow light tetra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 151
I know I've killed cardinals, but angles seem to do well with in my tanks, maybe I'm just cursed or something. I also know that I've managed to keep glow lights alive, and have cardinals die in the same tank within less than a week of being introduced.
__________________

__________________
Glow light tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NYgiantsRP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post
Good thing you didn't get cichlids. They will get fairly large depending on species and the will kill any fish in there way. Livebearers are cool fish but they don't always school but they are easy to breed. Harliquin rasboras is another choice. They are tight schoolers and look unique and cool in a group of more than 4-5.
This is not true about cichlids. There is thousands of different cichlids. A lot of south american and Central American cichlids are peaceful and would be great additions to a clown loach tank.
__________________

__________________
NYgiantsRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NYgiantsRP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,872
Blood parrots would work. Clown loaches can be kept with a lot of different fish, really anything depending on the clowns. It seems you have a feisty group, so cichlids might be the best options. 5-8 angels, or 3-5 severums(8" max), or 5-8 festivums(4" max), or 3-6 uaru(8" max),would all work. They are all semi peaceful cichlids that can be kept in groups. If you are looking for a schooling fish that is smaller the Denison barbs are very cool, and you could get about 15 of them if you want. You could also do Gouramis, any mix of about 10-12 of them would work.
__________________
NYgiantsRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Glow light tetra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 151
I've always liked these guys, I've never kept them though

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/honeygourami.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2795991243.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	177774  
__________________
Glow light tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow light tetra View Post
I've always liked these guys, I've never kept them though

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/honeygourami.php
I've heard of honey gouramis but never see them sold in my lfs.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgiantsRP View Post
Blood parrots would work. Clown loaches can be kept with a lot of different fish, really anything depending on the clowns. It seems you have a feisty group, so cichlids might be the best options. 5-8 angels, or 3-5 severums(8" max), or 5-8 festivums(4" max), or 3-6 uaru(8" max),would all work. They are all semi peaceful cichlids that can be kept in groups. If you are looking for a schooling fish that is smaller the Denison barbs are very cool, and you could get about 15 of them if you want. You could also do Gouramis, any mix of about 10-12 of them would work.
Blood parrots would work. Forgot about the semi peaceful and peaceful ones. Was thinking only Africans when I wrote that last post.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivers2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,694
In a 100 gallon tank what about a nice school of Bosemani rainbows. They are peaceful mid level fish. wont pay any attention to your clowns and clowns wont mess with them.



__________________
Rivers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
In a 100 gallon tank what about a nice school of Bosemani rainbows. They are peaceful mid level fish. wont pay any attention to your clowns and clowns wont mess with them.


Nice bosemani rainbows. Usually don't see that many good specimens.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivers2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post
Nice bosemani rainbows. Usually don't see that many good specimens.
They aren't mine I just pulled them from Google image.

However I have seen them before with just as nice of color in other peoples personal aquariums. They were all adults so I don't know if they color up better when they settle in to home aquariums or when they reach adulthood.
__________________
Rivers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post

They aren't mine I just pulled them from Google image.

However I have seen them before with just as nice of color in other peoples personal aquariums. They were all adults so I don't know if they color up better when they settle in to home aquariums or when they reach adulthood.
Oh. Lol. They usually color up when they get used to their tank.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
fancytail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Thanks for narrowing down my options everyone!

I'm leaning towards angels:
When I was doing research on them, I saw that they are highly social towards their owners! I so,so,so,SO love that trait with fish! I did find out that they should only be kept in pairs to keep peace, is this true? If not, how many should I keep without worrying about them causing a ruckus?

Blood Parrots:
OoooOoOh, I have sort of a soft spot for these cute fish! They get a point for nostalgia because they kind of sparked my enthusiasm with this hobby years ago. The one I grew up with had a great personality, following whoever passes by the aquarium and begging for food. I'm sure all of them are not like that, so it makes me wonder if we just got lucky with a adorable blood parrot? If anyone can tell me from their experience how their blood parrots react towards them- I'd totally appreciate it

I still haven't made up my mind with a schooling fish yet. I might just clean up my 30 gallon and fulfill my love for corydoras in there. Unless someone can recommend me a great schooling fish that can live peacefully with angels, clown loaches or blood parrots.
Oooh! Maybe I can have blood parrots and angelfish? Would that be bad? If I could have both of them, how much of both can live in my 100 gallon? 1 blood parrot and 3 angelfish? 2 blood parrots and 2 angelfish?

EDIT: I'm starting to realize that all the fish I'm thinking about are all territorial (I'm not sure about the angels). My clown loaches always hide in the same spot which is a luxurious driftwood cave. I just kNOW that a blood parrot would try and take this spot but I honestly don't know their social behaviors. How territorial are they and will they give up a hide if its already taken?
__________________
fancytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancytail View Post
Thanks for narrowing down my options everyone!

I'm leaning towards angels:
When I was doing research on them, I saw that they are highly social towards their owners! I so,so,so,SO love that trait with fish! I did find out that they should only be kept in pairs to keep peace, is this true? If not, how many should I keep without worrying about them causing a ruckus?

Blood Parrots:
OoooOoOh, I have sort of a soft spot for these cute fish! They get a point for nostalgia because they kind of sparked my enthusiasm with this hobby years ago. The one I grew up with had a great personality, following whoever passes by the aquarium and begging for food. I'm sure all of them are not like that, so it makes me wonder if we just got lucky with a adorable blood parrot? If anyone can tell me from their experience how their blood parrots react towards them- I'd totally appreciate it

I still haven't made up my mind with a schooling fish yet. I might just clean up my 30 gallon and fulfill my love for corydoras in there. Unless someone can recommend me a great schooling fish that can live peacefully with angels, clown loaches or blood parrots.
Oooh! Maybe I can have blood parrots and angelfish? Would that be bad? If I could have both of them, how much of both can live in my 100 gallon? 1 blood parrot and 3 angelfish? 2 blood parrots and 2 angelfish?

EDIT: I'm starting to realize that all the fish I'm thinking about are all territorial (I'm not sure about the angels). My clown loaches always hide in the same spot which is a luxurious driftwood cave. I just kNOW that a blood parrot would try and take this spot but I honestly don't know their social behaviors. How territorial are they and will they give up a hide if its already taken?
Angels can get pretty big. In a 100 gal. Maybe 3 parrots and 2 angels. If the loaches have claimed that area, the other fish may try to get it but the owner of the territory usually makes the other fish back off. How many clowns do you have?
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
fancytail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post
Angels can get pretty big. In a 100 gal. Maybe 3 parrots and 2 angels. If the loaches have claimed that area, the other fish may try to get it but the owner of the territory usually makes the other fish back off. How many clowns do you have?
I have 4 clown loaches. In total I can only have 5 of these kinds of fish? What if I only want one type of species?
__________________
fancytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancytail View Post

I have 4 clown loaches. In total I can only have 5 of these kinds of fish? What if I only want one type of species?
You mean what if you only want clown loaches in the 100 gal?
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
fancytail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post
You mean what if you only want clown loaches in the 100 gal?
Oh no- Like what if I just want to pick angelfish only or blood parrots only WITH the clown loaches.
__________________
fancytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancytail View Post

Oh no- Like what if I just want to pick angelfish only or blood parrots only WITH the clown loaches.
Oh. Lol. XD
Then you could have around 6-7 parrots or 5-6 angels in a specie only tank. But having 2 species of fish ( angels/parrots and clowns) in a 100 gal is kinda a waste of space IMO. I would create a tank that has at least 3-4 different species. Some petcos and petsmarts will do special orders and will order fish from online for you. I never did that before but I am going to try it at my lfs and see if they will order an African butterfly fish. I have been wanting one for ages.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
fancytail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
I DO have 2 species of algae eaters! Like a couple of otocinclus and bristlenose pleco. They hardly take up space so I didn't mention them. Now that I think about it, otocinclus are super small. I heard people has had success with combining angelfish with otocinclus but I don't know about blood parrots. I heard that otocinclus are lethal to fish that eat them due to their spines.

Yikes, this feels like I have to go back to the drawing board, huh?
__________________
fancytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancytail View Post
I DO have 2 species of algae eaters! Like a couple of otocinclus and bristlenose pleco. They hardly take up space so I didn't mention them. Now that I think about it, otocinclus are super small. I heard people has had success with combining angelfish with otocinclus but I don't know about blood parrots. I heard that otocinclus are lethal to fish that eat them due to their spines.

Yikes, this feels like I have to go back to the drawing board, huh?
I have kept otos but I never heard about their spines being deadly. But I think otos are too small for parrots to really notice and try to eat them.
__________________

__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clown, clown loach, clown loaches, community, compatible, fish, loach, loaches

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.