Compatible with Tiger Oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lupine327

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 50 gallon long tank I am planning to start up again. In the past I had a clown knife that was about 12" long before I moved and had to tear it down. I am planning to put a tiger oscar (small) in the tank and maybe a couple pacus and a catfish. I am hoping for some suggestions of colorful attractive fish to also put in this tank. Feel free to leave comments or suggestions. I am also planning to put a fair amount of rocks (real and/or artificial) and live plants.

Thanks in advance. :D

I would be careful with oscars... i have had many oscars in the past, and when they get full grown, there is not much else that will fit in a 55 gallon. a lot of LFS will say they go good with several different cichlids, but IME, either the oscar dies of stress or visa versa. I think a better place to ask would be the cichlid forum.

Welcome to AA!!!

One oscar alone in a fifty gallon is pushing it. Forget the pacus they get the size of garbage can covers. A large pleco may do okay with an oscar, depends on the O's personality.

Live plants are a waste of time. He will spend a good deal of his time ripping them up.

If you want to get a larger cichlids why not a JD or a severum. They are both pretty fish and would be a much better fit in your tank.

I would second the what Rich311k said...a fifty for an oscar is really pushing it. They like a lot of room, and also are very messy fish. My dad had one in a fifty-five and it had to be cleaned twice a week. And there was definitely no room for anything else.

Oscars are great fish but they are very high maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom