Complete Rescape!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eAts

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm getting ready to completely rescape my 44 gallon aquarium. Currently the tank has PFS substrate, fake plants, and a few decorations. I am planning on switching to eco-complete (80lbs), and have a bunch of live plants ordered which should be here tomorrow or tuesday. Before I start the process, the tank has been running for 10 months, and is stocked.

To get the tank cleaned out this is what I was thinking. Taking a large rubbermaid container and filling it was tank water, add the current decorations and fish to the rubbermaid tub and run a heater and the filter on this for a day or two until I get the tank cleaned out and add the new substrate, and get everything I want planted. Then fill 75% of the tank with new water and 25% with the water that was in the tub with the fish and decorations. Then hook the equipment and add the fish back. Am I missing anything?

I'll be sure to post pictures of before and after later!

Thanks, Kyle

Sounds like a good plan. That's basically what I did when upgrading from a 55 to a 75 except without the filter and I used buckets, but I made the change over in about 2 1/2 hours so if you're planning on longer than that your plan is the way to go

The water doesn't really matter. As long as your filter isn't disturbed, you don't have to worry about any spikes in the water parameters. Plus, adding a lot of live plants will help with any mini cycle IF it happens. Just make sure you acclimate them, it's just like when you get them. Just get all the fish in the bucket with the heater and filter, set up the new scape and fill it with treated water, throw the filter back on the tank and let it run for a couple hours. The fish will be fine in a nice big bucket for a couple hours without the filter, maybe just a bubbler. Then float and acclimate them and your done.

Sounds like a good plan. That's basically what I did when upgrading from a 55 to a 75 except without the filter and I used buckets, but I made the change over in about 2 1/2 hours so if you're planning on longer than that your plan is the way to go

Great that's good to know I'm on the right track, I would hate to lose fish over this.

Great that's good to know I'm on the right track, I would hate to lose fish over this.

Just try to keep the tub semi covered, when doing my upgrade I had a sword tail make a jump to the floor, probably was out for like a half hour so! Surprisingly I through him back in the water, after I almost stepped on him, and he's doing great now! He was almost dried out too, just my experience

Thanks for the advice, I got the fish out in the tub and hopefully they have called down, I can only imagine how stressful the process of getting them out of the tank must have been for them. I put the eco-complete in and will plant in the morning. Thanks again, I'll post pictures after I get it filled and planted.

Finished switching the substrate and planting today. I got the fish in and they are still adjusting and I'm keeping the lights off till tomorrow and I'll get a picture of the before and after and post them then! They tank will need to fill out and will require me to trim and replant to get it very heavily planted.
Thanks again for the great advise! So far I haven't lost any fish in the transition, but we will see in the morning.

Just try to keep the tub semi covered, when doing my upgrade I had a sword tail make a jump to the floor, probably was out for like a half hour so! Surprisingly I through him back in the water, after I almost stepped on him, and he's doing great now! He was almost dried out too, just my experience

I just did a big rescape of my tank on Saturday, and I did lose a fish to jumping out. One of my (new!) emperor tetras jumped out and I think my cat ran off with him. At least, I can't find him anywhere. I also had a platy jump out but I saw him and he appears to be fine!

It was tough to catch everyone for the transfer though! Hope you enjoy your newly scaped tank, I love the way mine looks with eco-complete in it!

I apologize for it taking so long to get these pictures up.

Before:

img0107pa.jpg

After:

Unfortunately I lost a blue ram during the process. I think it mini cycled after I cleaned the filter also. Hopefully I won't lose any more.

Looks great! So much more natural, good job. Sorry about your ram, just keep a close eye on your parameters

Looks great! So much more natural, good job. Sorry about your ram, just keep a close eye on your parameters

Thanks, I agree that it looks much better, it just needs to fill out. I'll keep watching the parameters.

Back
Top Bottom