Completely silent filter for small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calcifer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,
I have a 6.6 gal tank that stays right beside my bed.
I need a completely silent filter, something that
I won't be able to hear at all, even at night.
So, has anyone herd of such a utopia?
If not, what is closest that I can get to it?

Thanks

Aqua clears are pretty darn silent, however you will still get some noise from water going into the tank unless it's always topped off.

I don't think you will find something you can put next to your bed and not hear it. Today's filters are very quiet, but none that much.

Consider putting it across the room on a dresser or if you could stand bubbles better, get a sponge filter.

Which is not the best way to go since it is a big hassle for you and the fish. I currently have a Hagen Elite Stingray you would need a 5 or 10 depending what you want to stock. They dont make any Noise at all, of you can get your hand on one I highly recommend it and maintnence is really easy too. Look it up in the Hagen page.

Yes, I did read the thread, but as I said this filter make virtually no noise at all I have it right next to my bed. And no filter IMO is never the best way to go (except your talking about shrimp or plants only) since in the long run it will affect te quality of life of the fish, constant ammonia and nitrite spikes.

But if you have succesfully kept no filter tanks, my hat is off to you I couldnt and I think most people couldnt handle dayly changes for a long time.

50% daily pwc is a filter replacement strategy. Top discus breeders (some of the most demanding species) swear by this method.

Nothing is 100% silent, but the AquaClear's are jaw-droppingly quiet. Changing 50% of the water daily would probably get annoying.

Yes and Im sure some people could handle that and make it work, just saying its not for everybody. :)

Yes, I did read the thread, but as I said this filter make virtually no noise at all I have it right next to my bed. And no filter IMO is never the best way to go (except your talking about shrimp or plants only) since in the long run it will affect te quality of life of the fish, constant ammonia and nitrite spikes.

But if you have succesfully kept no filter tanks, my hat is off to you I couldnt and I think most people couldnt handle dayly changes for a long time.
mine is literally 2 feet from my head,and i dont hear it at all.(its a tetra whisper filter)

Whoa, so many replies in one day!

jimenezlee, yeah, daily 50% pwc would be ideal considering the no noise, but I don't think I would be able to do it every day.

I will definitely look more on all of the suggestions,
thank you all very much for the help!
:thanks:

Aqua clears are pretty darn silent, however you will still get some noise from water going into the tank unless it's always topped off.

Can you hear the motor if you are close (like 2 or 3 feet away) to the tank?

Which is not the best way to go since it is a big hassle for you and the fish. I currently have a Hagen Elite Stingray you would need a 5 or 10 depending what you want to stock. They dont make any Noise at all, of you can get your hand on one I highly recommend it and maintnence is really easy too. Look it up in the Hagen page.

Will I need an air pump if I get this one?

Back
Top Bottom