Concern about hooking up python to faucet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
as we all no when you hook up a python and suckout water from the aquarium it will touch the faucet head thus possible have some bacteria etc attach to it? then when faucet is in regular use to rinse mouth after brushing even brushing etc will all bad things that come from aquarium water mix in with your daily intake? not sure if im clear let me know what you guys think?

If I'm not mistaken, the tap attachment has a one-way valve. Water can flow out from the faucet to the hose but cannot run from the hose to the faucet. All waste water should run down to the drainage end.

Jchillin is correct. The water only goes one direction, and splits off at the pump where it either goes to the tank or to the sink. But in front of that connection, no tank water will reach the faucet.

not quit, my experience is that the plastic screw that screws onto the faucet is not quit that tight and sometiems i get leaks squirting out on the top, now i do not know if this is faucet water pressured out when the faucet is on to drain tank or if its mix in with the tank water?
so what you say is that the original tank water only goes up to half of the green tubing that conects to the faucet and drains down never can go up into the faucet?

I have ordered my Python but have not received it as of yet. If I'm not mistaken, this device works on the venturi principle. Tap water must be running in order to create "suction". If that is the case then I would think that you are safe. Since the tap water is flowing out of the faucet and shooting by a tube that creates an area of lower pressure. this is what sucks the tank water through the hose and mixes with the tap water. Then it is all carried away from the faucet and exhausts into the sink.

kaz said:
not quit, my experience is that the plastic screw that screws onto the faucet is not quit that tight and sometiems i get leaks squirting out on the top, now i do not know if this is faucet water pressured out when the faucet is on to drain tank or if its mix in with the tank water?
so what you say is that the original tank water only goes up to half of the green tubing that conects to the faucet and drains down never can go up into the faucet?
Mine does the same now and then, but the water that is spraying is directly from the faucet, and not tank water. Now if it leaked from where the hose connects to the green pump, then you need to tighten it. It should not leak there. Mine only leaks at the faucet now and then, but nothing major.

ok cool, my leaks once in a while are from the python and faucet conex not the hose and green python. just wondering. thank everyone.

I agree, the tank water would only get to the faucet if you turned off the faucet, then held the python hose with tank water in it above faucet height. Then tank water might flow out and be able to splash the faucet?

However! Lets just say such an exposure does occur. What are you going to do? Buy a new faucet? Nah, just turn the faucet on and clean the outside if you are really concerned. The forceful flow and dilutional strenght of the flowing water will return the faucet to its original state, plus the effect of any cleaner you use.

Lonewolfblue said:
kaz said:
Mine does the same now and then, but the water that is spraying is directly from the faucet, and not tank water. Now if it leaked from where the hose connects to the green pump, then you need to tighten it. It should not leak there. Mine only leaks at the faucet now and then, but nothing major.

That description basically proves that the tank water cannot get to the faucet. This proves that the valve is working. If it there were no valve there, you would not get the overspray. :)

There is, more than likely, worse stuff in a iced fountain drink from a fast food resturant than in your aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom