Concerned Betta Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank Mate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's a bit of an update to get you started:

After months of research into the hobby, we decided to buy a second-hand Aquanano 40 online. Although we would have preferred it to come empty, it was being sold with 10 fish (2 mollies, 2 cardinal tetra, 2 orange guppies, and 4 five band barbs).

After discussing with an extremely helpful member of staff from Pets at Home, we were recommended to transport as much of the tank water with us and ensure that the filter media stayed wet. This we did, and after a thorough clean (no chemicals used) the fish were reintroduced to their new home.

After the regular treatment and 25% water change, the ammonia and nitrates stabilised and all the fish were eating and behaving normally.

Fast-forward to last Sunday and we visited Maidenhead aquatics to add to the stock of the tank. This was primarily to add a few more tetra (keeping the ideal schooling size), a handful of Ottocinclus, and scout for a friendly Betta.

We knew the dangers of keeping Bettas and guppies, but our guppies fins are relatively small and the colours aren't too varied. After being assured that we could return the fish if there were any complications, we brought home 4 cardinals, 4 ottocinclus and one Betta.

After following the correct steps to introduce the fish, we left our Betta floating for an extra hour or so to introduce him to the tank. Once he was released, he swam around curiously investigating his new home.

We've watched him carefully over the past few days and have only seen him try to flare once. So far, he seems to get on with all the other tank mates just fine.

However, we've noticed that he has started 'glass surfing' along the side of the tank. He looks healthy, no signs of disease, and is eating well. Swims strongly and always active.

Does anyone know why he seems to swim back and forwards down one side of the tank? If prompted, he will move away but inevitably go back to it. These are the possible suggestions I've found:

- Lack of plant cover
- Boredom
- Attracted to reflection

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

To help you picture it better, here's a few pictures of him!

Image1494338927.525410.jpgIMG_8632.jpgImage1494338951.817170.jpg

That's the hope. Would it be normal for him to do it for most of the day?

Again, I should have added that there's been no flaring at the reflection.

I have had fish that play like that for hours upon hours. So I would say yes.

It is one of the most common clues to boredom, although if he's in with other fish, his boredom should be low indeed.

It's also a sign of stress. Betta are not designed to be housed with other fish.
However, in an (I'm assuming) 40 litre tank, he should have enough room to chill.

I'd keep a close eye for any sign of aggression from either side, bettas that are peaceful for weeks can suddenly snap, and assume he's just playing, if there's no other concern.

Also, well done on getting some actual advice from PaH... they're not typically all that informative.

Thanks for the replies!

The tank is 55 litres, but a portion is closed off to conceal the filtration system and heater. Will keep an eye out for any signs of aggression.

I'd heard about the uninformative staff at Pets at Home, but must have got lucky. Genuinely seemed concerned for the welfare of the fish too, which was a nice touch!

Back
Top Bottom