Conditioning and feeding BN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally got 2 BN pleco, one is about 5 inches, one is about 3 inches. I know what they eat but how much do they need to be healthy? The smaller one was in the tank for 2 weeks and did little to control the algae. I put the larger one in there 3 days ago and the algae is gone. I gave them a piece of zucchini today to see how hungry they were and they are chomping at it regularly. Am I feeding enough and do they have a problem with low amounts of food an health? There is a large piece of driftwood in the tank so that is taken care of.

Is there a specific food that is used to condition them for breeding and for growth? I have never tried to spawn them, I know the ages are off but if I can get a similar size female soon, I will need to order the food if there is anything special to condition them.

Great questions. I feed mine Hikari Algae Wafers along with high protein flake food. I would imagine anything choc full of protein would be accepted. This includes frozen blood worms and live black worms. The protein is critical during the growing stage. Good Luck.

For me it's easier to feed the frozen bbs for newly hatched fry. I never feed adult bs because it's mostly shell and very little protein. There are many choices in quality flake foods. Take your pick. I seem to be getting good pleco growth with Wardleys Total Spectramax.

Back
Top Bottom