Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leek86

Aquarium Advice Activist
So last week I took my large filter sponges that have been in my dads community tank for a month- month and a half, put them in my tank. Now since dads tank has way more fish than I planned on adding at first so I figured it'd be safe.
So off I go to a lfs, explain the situation and get a trio of rummynose tetra and 3 panda corys.

They havent been eating much but I figured that may be them settling in.
So its been a week so I decided I best test the water before getting more rummynoses for the shoal.

The results were
Ammo - about 1 ppm
Nitrite - .25 ppm
Nitrate - about 20 ppm

Tests were done with api liquid master kit.
Obviously the bacteria is working but since im still getting ammo and nitrite, im assuming its not ready to add more fish yet.
Now ive seen the nitrate i'll be performing a water change too.

So last week I took my large filter sponges that have been in my dads community tank for a month- month and a half, put them in my tank. Now since dads tank has way more fish than I planned on adding at first so I figured it'd be safe.
So off I go to a lfs, explain the situation and get a trio of rummynose tetra and 3 panda corys.

They havent been eating much but I figured that may be them settling in.
So its been a week so I decided I best test the water before getting more rummynoses for the shoal.

The results were
Ammo - about 1 ppm
Nitrite - .25 ppm
Nitrate - about 20 ppm

Tests were done with api liquid master kit.
Obviously the bacteria is working but since im still getting ammo and nitrite, im assuming its not ready to add more fish yet.
Now ive seen the nitrate i'll be performing a water change too.

Hello leek...

Weekly, large water changes of a minimum of half the volume of the tank will keep the pollutants low and safe for your fish.

Continue to check the water chemistry and get some plants into the tank. Plants do two important things for the tank: They make the fish feel more comfortable and they're natural water filters and help keep the water stable.

You shouldn't add more fish until you get several tests that read "0" ammonia and nitrites. Remember, there are no forms of bacteria that use nitrates, so you must remove those by removing and replacing the tank water regularly.

B

Back
Top Bottom