Confused about a filter issue.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mb102593

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, i read alot about this site and I just had to join it ! I had a question about my filter. Now i know the filters that come with a kit setup isn't all that great. However mine has been running for about 2 weeks now. I really want to get a better filter becaue in the long run, i want my fishes to be more satisfied. Now the question comes to should i wait til the cycle is over to get a new one, but at the same time the bacteria needs to be in there, and with a new filter i would have to start all over ! any suggestions? i'm a newbie at this stuff so sorry if it is a dumb question.

Mb102593 said:
Hey guys, i read alot about this site and I just had to join it ! I had a question about my filter. Now i know the filters that come with a kit setup isn't all that great. However mine has been running for about 2 weeks now. I really want to get a better filter becaue in the long run, i want my fishes to be more satisfied. Now the question comes to should i wait til the cycle is over to get a new one, but at the same time the bacteria needs to be in there, and with a new filter i would have to start all over ! any suggestions? i'm a newbie at this stuff so sorry if it is a dumb question.

I would get the new filter asap, but its just me. It would be especially good if you could transfer all the media from the old filter to the new one. Which filter do you have?

You could add the new one to the tank and use them both. Then a couple of weeks after the cycle is complete remove the old one. Just watch for mini cycles. Or you could leave them both running on the tank. My 17g has two filters.

Not a dumb question at all. If you do get another filter, there'd be no problem with running both filters on the tank. If you pay for 2 filters you might as well use them right? If you decide you just want to use the new filter, place the media from your current filter into the media baskets of your new filter and call it good. No progress lost.

An aqueon filter for the size that your tank is should work fine. For your bacteria problem there is a way to help it out a bit. At the bottom of the tank the oxygen is low which suffocates the bacteria but with an undergravel filter it will keep the oxygen spread evenly throughout the tank. It also takes in all of the waste and extra food and keeps it at the bottom and you will be able to tank it out with a normal cleaning device. Now this is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL it is only a nice accessory

An aqueon filter for the size that your tank is should work fine. For your bacteria problem there is a way to help it out a bit. At the bottom of the tank the oxygen is low which suffocates the bacteria but with an undergravel filter it will keep the oxygen spread evenly throughout the tank. It also takes in all of the waste and extra food and keeps it at the bottom and you will be able to tank it out with a normal cleaning device. Now this is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL it is only a nice accessory

What does this have to do with the OP's questions?

I'd suggest getting a new filter and running it with the old filter at the same time. Then, after awhile, you can remove the old filter if you'd like or keep it so you could get the most filtration out of them both.

Back
Top Bottom