Confused as to what is causing this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangepunkins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a breeding set of blue rams. I did a water change today. and Now this is what she is doing. I checked the quality and it is right where it should be. No spikes in anything. None of the other fish are acting like this. I put an air wand thinking that she needs air. I did notice that her gills seem a little puffed out. I have a heavily planted tank so I would like to not to use toxic meds. I know that I said they were a breeding pair but I have never seen them lay eggs. She got really fat and then poof she wasn't anymore. If she does die what do I do with the male? Will he take to a new female? (the stains on the back of the photo are hard water stains I scrub them off but they reappear) Please help.DSCN7922.JPG

What exactly are your parameters? Some numbers would help. If you have hard water stains, that would indicate... hard water? Which is very bad for rams.

I have
0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrite
between 10 ppm - 20 ppm nitrate
my ph is high it is always high I drawl off a well
it can be 7.8-8.0
I have another set of gold rams in another tank with the same quality of water and they have laid eggs 2x's already.
I'm wondering if she is getting up in the years. I do not know how old she is she was full grown when we got the set of rams. The male is 3xs her size.

It's possibly you just got fortunate with your other rams, because they generally do poorly in hard water with high pH. otherwise, are they any other visible markings or issues on the fish?

No the fish were fine. I did transfer her to a small hospital tank that has some salt in it and she seems to be doing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is she breathing heavy or rapid? Losing color or rejecting food? Hiding?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No hiding, coloring good, I moved her to a small hsp tank added a little salt and she started doing better. I will check on her when I get home. U never know what can happen while away at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom