confused: does Algae 'Use-up" nitrates??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
if so,
shouldn't we just let algae grow (and buy a pleco to eat the algae).. and therefore, our nitrate problem is solved ??

That does work in the short run, but then the pleco goes to the bathroom and the nitrates are released back into the tank.

It's still not a solution, but I've found my apple snail makes a huge dent in algea growth. And personally I've found him easier to clean up after than the pleco.

From what Im hearing in the question it sounds like you would want the algae to grow and not get a fish or invert to eat it.. In other words using algae as a filter. the macro algae in the tank really isnt all that effecent but some algae like on the back glass couldnt hurt anything..

When I do water changes I always clean the glass in the front and on the sides. The back I leave alone. You don't want to let algae get out of control in your tank though cause it will become unsightly to the point that you won't be able to see your fish 8O

I agree I clean the sides and front of the glass weekly, the back is untouched unless it looks a mess.

i never have algae o.o how come you guys do?..then again i have swimming food disposals (aka my molly babies) but even before i had them i never had algae.... maybe i just never could see it? 8O

With no direct or indirect sunlight in my basement, I have very little algae. After 8 months, I have barely a spot on the viewing glass. The back has some, but I leave it. Wonder how it know to stay away from an area I would remove it from.

Back
Top Bottom