Confused with Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caydonh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good day

I have 2 plecos one is a leopard one and the other a orange spotted they are in a 60L tank and are still small at 7-9cm but they seem to be fighting and then sometimes they will lay on top of one another but there colour on there back changes as well when they fight so I dont know are they maybe male and female wanting to breed how will I know I can post some pics if that would help

sent by CaydonRSA

Good day

I have 2 plecos one is a leopard one and the other a orange spotted they are in a 60L tank and are still small at 7-9cm but they seem to be fighting and then sometimes they will lay on top of one another but there colour on there back changes as well when they fight so I dont know are they maybe male and female wanting to breed how will I know I can post some pics if that would help

sent by CaydonRSA

Plecos are generally territorial fish to begin with so it wouldn't surprise me if they were fighting. The colour changing thing just sounds like stress which is common to see in fish especially if they are fighting. I can tell you and I'm sure a lot of people already have that a 60L tank or 15 gallon is too small for plecos. If you could post some pics of those fish it would be easy to identify what you've got gender wise happening in your tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for info I know its 2 small I am looking at getting a 1.4m tank which they will go in. I have attached best pics I can get for now

sent by CaydonRSA

Attachments

• 1473968568158.jpg
    1473968568158.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 1473968594318.jpg
    1473968594318.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 1473968611418.jpg
    1473968611418.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 1473968673967.jpg
    1473968673967.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for info I know its 2 small I am looking at getting a 1.4m tank which they will go in. I have attached best pics I can get for now

sent by CaydonRSA

From what I can see it looks like you've got 2 males, anyone correct me if I'm wrong but the females are generally more round and judging by the aggression as well that you mentioned it all seems to add up. Well I guess you'll know for sure if you wake up one day and there are eggs in the tank, that's usually a pretty good indication.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. Is it normal for them to lay on top of one another like that and they always seem to be very close to one another. I managed to get another pic as you can see they still pretty small if you look at the one at the bottom he changed colour and I look 3mins later he is back to normal sometimes while I am watching him and he is just chilling there no disturbances he will just randomly start fadding then going back to normal . Had one for 6 months and the other for 3months I also have 2 baby BN plecos one albino and one black. They are very small will take pics of those when I get a chance.

sent by CaydonRSA

Attachments

• 1474011197167.jpg
    1474011197167.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 1474011533708.jpg
    1474011533708.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 48
Those are sailfin plecos and can reach over 15". I would rehome both of them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

sent by CaydonRSA
(Re:post#3)
Picture no 2, pterygoplicthys gibbiceps
Picture no 3, pterygoplicthys joselimanius

Not sure about pic 3 I've not kept these but pic 2 will grow to at least 38cms. A 1.4metre tank will just about do for this species. Great fish, but very messy! Get prepared for a lot of work. I mean that with all the best, these are really stunning fish....

Back
Top Bottom