Confusing Test Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Better to have an accurate NO3 reading and take proper steps to remove than to have inaccurate readings and doing nothing. 8O

Did you discover what went wrong with your other tests?

Did you discover what went wrong with your other tests?

The only thing that I can figure out is that I was not shaken reagent #1 enough and that I was not shaken the tube enough for 60 sec but this was a huge difference.

Thanks again AA for all your help!

Don't you just love the "shake, shake, shake...shake, shake, shake...shake your test tubes, shake your bottles..." for the NO3 tests!!!

I have ruined countless tests in that very manner, so don't fret it. :D

Don't you just love the "shake, shake, shake...shake, shake, shake...shake your test tubes, shake your bottles..." for the NO3 tests!!!

I have ruined countless tests in that very manner, so don't fret it.

Yea If my wife had saw me doing that she might have been wondering what I was doing :roll:

I had no idea that you had to do the shakes on that test like that. WOW!! I sort like the PH test...put in a few drops shake the tube and read!! Why can't they all be that simple!!

I set the microwave timer and just shake away until the timer goes off! :lol: I have looked at other brands of nitrate tests to try to avoid all that shaking but the other brands of nitrate tests are complicated also, so the shaking for the AP test was the easiest test of the bunch, actually. And I guess it's not so bad. But yes, the pH test is great -- I use the Wardley brand. Just two drops and read instantly! Well, I do notice that it takes 30 seconds to a minute to develop the correct color.

if you ever want to check your readings you could have a lfs test your water and compare the results

I have found that I can do Nitrate tests without shaking. This is what you do:

Fill up test tube to line with water. Hand bottles to boyfriend/husband/wife/girlfriend/child and have them shake the bottles for you. Add drops from first tube, cap it and shake. Then add drops from bottle number two and hand tube to boyfriend/husband/wife/girlfriend/child and have them shake it for you. :D

I have found that I can do Nitrate tests without shaking. This is what you do:

Fill up test tube to line with water. Hand bottles to boyfriend/husband/wife/girlfriend/child and have them shake the bottles for you. Add drops from first tube, cap it and shake. Then add drops from bottle number two and hand tube to boyfriend/husband/wife/girlfriend/child and have them shake it for you.

Great Idea FF!!! I will have to try that one out this weekend!!! :p

Back
Top Bottom