Congo Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anybody have these anymore? I'm not looking to buy but when I was a kid I used to own a few and I loved them. Now that I'm back into the hobby I can't find them anywhere!! Well in my area anyway.

I'll appreciate seeing any pics and hearing experiences any about these fish. Thanks!!

Something like this?

image-2562197853.jpg

I've never seen them around before! Pretty neat though!

I'm sure you can find them online! I think I want to get some! Are they schooling fish?

Yes they are a schooling fish. I'll think I will look for them online also. I hope I can find some nearby!!

They are a beautiful schooling fish and get good size to them, a school of 6-10 needs more space than your average tetra but IMO they are worth it. They are all over the place around here, all 3 of my LFS carry them on a regular basis. I bet if you ask your LFS they can get them for you

They're never around here either. I didn't ask about them because I already have neons, cardinals, glowlights, bloodfins and black neons.

They have Congos regularly at my LFS. They are not cheap at $10+. I have 6 of them. Come on down to Texas.

Here's a picture of them:
CongosAndPlaty.jpg

I live in upstate NY and I have a LFS that carries them all the time 3 for $18. I have 4 in the 65g. They are the BEST eater I have ever seen. I need to distract them by putting food in the corner fist because they will eat it all before any of the other fish get any. Mine dont have as good of color. They are just silver, not much of the blue/green highlighting, it make me sad now.:(

Yes they are voracious!! I used to feed them freeze dried tubifex squares and the only competition came from my zebra danios.

I live in upstate NY and I have a LFS that carries them all the time 3 for $18. I have 4 in the 65g. They are the BEST eater I have ever seen. I need to distract them by putting food in the corner fist because they will eat it all before any of the other fish get any. Mine dont have as good of color. They are just silver, not much of the blue/green highlighting, it make me sad now.:(
you might have females, much less colorful

Yes!! Those are them!! Out of five places I've visited I havent seen any.

They are offered on Aqua Bid on a regular basis. There is 2 new color morphs now blue, and red. The reds are awesome, but very hard to find:(

They are readily available to just about any shop since they are farmed in Florida. We get them in regularly and have a group of grow outs in a 75. The juveniles don't develop their "gorgeous" for quite awhile so a lot of shops don't stock them. Unfortunately, they aren't flashy enough to sell at an affordable price unless there is a knowledgable staff and clientele.

If you're in upstate NY check out Petsmarts. I went to 2 different stores and found Congos being sold for $3.80!

If you're in upstate NY check out Petsmarts. I went to 2 different stores and found Congos being sold for $3.80!

Every petsmart here are some of the worst places to buy fish.
I've had many problems there. The prices are cheaper for a reason.

Like someone else said, could be females? Or they may have only been 3/$18 because of the lack in vibrancy? Some of the more advanced LFS will do this, only because they are knowledgeable unlike petsmart employees.

Every petsmart here are some of the worst places to buy fish.
I've had many problems there. The prices are cheaper for a reason.

Like someone else said, could be females? Or they may have only been 3/$18 because of the lack in vibrancy? Some of the more advanced LFS will do this, only because they are knowledgeable unlike petsmart employees.

I agree Petsmarts are often awful. My local one is actually really nice- because the employees in the fish section are amazing fishkeepers, of course. I go to them whenever I need local advice, and they call me whenever they get/hear/bred something interesting- I feel very lucky to have such experts near me when most Petsmarts are notorious for hiring the opposite.

All the congos I've seen on display are very drab and are overlooked. An employee took a group from Petsmart home, and when I went to pick up some fish from her personal tanks, I saw that her congos had colored up immensely. We think they are all males.

Back
Top Bottom