congo tetras in a 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My lfs has many young congo tetras that are about at the age that they can be sexed. I'm still pondering the amount and types of fish that I'm going to put in a used 29 gallon (30X12X18). The only fish I have planned for it now are 3 yo yo loaches and 2 zebra loaches (all under 2").

I'm considering rainbowfish (boesmani and/or praecox), congo tetras, gold barbs, rosy barbs, and brilliant rasboras. Not all of these but some combination of these.

What say you?

congos

I read fruitbats profile and I was guite pleased and impressed.

Fruitbat wrote:

I recommend nothing smaller than a 29 gallon tank for a school of 5 of these fish.

I may give them a try with this 29 gallon aquarium. I don't see these fish everywhere.[/quote]

congo tetras revisited

Does anyone else have an opinion on the congo tetra in a 29 gallon tank?

How many should I put in one, if any?

Will other fish be a problem?

I think if you go with five if you plan on adding other things. It's not gonna leave much room. I have three and they love to hang out together. I wouldn't put them with anything to nippy because of the long fins. I have platies in with mine. When they were smaller I had them in a tank with rams and a female betta.

3 in a 29 gallon

How about 3 of them in a 29 gallon? I may have an angelfish in there too.

Will they bother the angelfish too much?

How big do congos get? I was thinking they get as big as 3 - 4".

Do congos live a long time?

I'd like to put 3 congo tetras in a 29 gallon tank with 1 angelfish, 2 gold barbs, and 3 angelicus loaches.

I'd be more worried about the angel harassing the congos. lol Mine are very peaceful and stay in their own little group. But, I think they will be ok. I believe they get to 3". Your list looks fine to me. I don't know what the longevity is for them. I've only had mine a few months. They grow pretty fast.

congos

Thanks. Sexing the young ones is very difficult. I went to the lfs today and they sold all my congos. :x They said they'd get more in but they will probably be too small to sex.

Back
Top Bottom