Congo tetras mating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Found this from a google search.

Don't have any actual experience, sorry :(

"Breeding Congo Tetras generally requires a large, well-lighted tank with plenty of swimming space that is at least partially planted. Goe Gallon noted that the ideal water should be soft and slightly on the acid side, and that filtration through peat may be beneficial to encourage spawning. He also noted that spawning temperature is best between 25-27 degree C (75 - 77 degrees F). Prior to breeding, a pair of Congo Tetra should be ideally conditioned beforehand with ample feedings of live or frozen foods.
During mating, the male will actively pursue the ripe female until between 300 - 500 eggs are laid, generally in or around plants. These eggs are only weakly adhesive and it is common for most of the eggs to sink to the bottom. At this point, it is recommended to remove the parents once the eggs are laid as the adults may eat the eggs or new frys. The eggs should hatch after an incubation period of approximately 5 - 7 days."

ok, thanks! i don't think i'm going to get any fry because I am pretty sure my danios are getting the eggs as she lays them.

skiweeangel said:
ok, thanks! i don't think i'm going to get any fry because I am pretty sure my danios are getting the eggs as she lays them.

Yea it's probably best to separate the 2 prospective parents so they can do the business in peace ;) lol!

hhhmmm just found a free 75 gal..... maybe that would be good. :)

i never find things like this, but it comes with fish already, so i would have to move some around. not sure how that would work. i would figure it out though.

skiweeangel said:
i never find things like this, but it comes with fish already, so i would have to move some around. not sure how that would work. i would figure it out though.

I'm sure you could find homes for te fish

Or donate en to a LFS?

has anyone donated fish to a petco? that is my closest LFS. does anyone know it they would take a CAE?

Scouser said:
Yea that'd be great!!

Also why can't I find these free tanks?! Lol.

They're only free until you fork out the $200 for filtration, $80 for substrate, $30 for heaters, $100 for lighting, and a couple hundred for food/fish/electricity/misc equipment. You're saving a lot of money by not finding those free tanks.

Back
Top Bottom