Congo tetras mating, need advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Each morning I go into my son's room to wake him up I notice lots of activity. It seems I have a mating pair of congo tetras, but as she lays her eggs they are gobbled up by the danios, literarly. As she lays them our gold long finned danios swarm under her and I never see anything because they seem to be eating whatever comes out. Is there a way to separate the two who are mating without upsetting their pairing? I don't want to move them out of the tank because I don't have another set up at the moment, but I would like to try to raise some fry. Do you think a tank divider would work?

The tank is a 55gal with 6congos, and 8 gold long finned danios, some java moss and tons of plastic plants and the huge castle I always see in LFS. Any advice I would love to hear it.:thanks:

You could divide the tank, but they will eat their own eggs as readily as the danios do. If you see the eggs, you can collect them to hatch out in another tank or you can move the pair to a 10G - 20G tank setup with large gravel or hobby mesh offset from the bottom. There really isn't anyway other than luck and lots of plants & decor that doesn't involve another tank. Congrats on happy fish though! :)

Thanks! Im not even sure if I want the responsibility of raising fry.

Back
Top Bottom