Congos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashenwelt

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I ordered aome convos from a breeder today. Purchased six.

So... first question is when do they get their colors? If i had gone to the store they would be a bit longer and way more colorful.

Next off, every documentation I have seen, and in the store they are always in the top half of the tank. How long does it normally take to acclimate to that? Or is that a fable I fell for?

Mine are always at top half and pretty flighty. Will try and ask at shop on colour this week as was planning on getting a few more.

About just under 3 inches I think. Males have the red stripe on blue sides. Females look a bit smaller. I've seen them in the shop at maybe 2 inches but can't remember on colour. I think they had ok colours.

I bought mine off a local - I'm not sure they would have grown so well in mine with all the messing with plants I do.

So one more question... everything I read said these guys liked open water at the top of the tank. So far... mine only seem to sit in the bottom half of the tank.

What have you seen? Obviously yours are older...

Yes, pretty much open water at top. I have seen them go to the bottom on occasion or into thick plant cover at back of tank (when it was heavily planted). From memory at the shop was similar. Are yours very active? Mine sometimes I think need longer than the 4ft tank I have but I bought them I believe from a smaller tank and they were very healthy.

Maybe that's it. When mine was heavily planted they did hang around in a tight little bunch lower down. Now they've taken over the back of the tank and the angelfish prefer the front left (and the yoyo loaches annoy everyone).

Asked at shop and thought to get colour around 1 and half to 2 inches. Saw one male at 2 inches with OK colour. They must get a lot better at 3 inches :)

I bought 3 ($22) and reckon I have 2 females and a male at about an inch long. Slightly bigger than neon tetras but smaller than I thought (which the angelfish seem to have noticed as well unfortunately). Fingers crossed!

Was interested myself as it seems my new ones have a lot of growing to do. They are just sticking to themselves (glad I got three now as the other tetras in tank are too big for them) and survived the night. If they make it through the week the angelfish should just accept them (I hope).

Back
Top Bottom