Considering a 55g tank upgrade..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently have a 10g tank that I've had for a few months, and I'm really really itching for something bigger. I'd consider going to a 30-40g tank, but then I think.. when I have that, what's going to keep me from wanting a 55?

I've been shopping around and most 55g tanks are quite expensive when they're new, but I keep seeing at the WalMart near me that they have 55g kits for like $160.

I'm usually very weary of buying stuff from there, especially stuff I need to last. Does anyone have the 55g from Walmart? Should it be avoided?

I found a post through google that refers to it (http://www.oscarfish.com/wal-mart-55-gallon-tank-kit-vt2619.html), and everyone seems to think it's quite a deal. The thread was from 2001 though, so they may have changed the kit since then.

The 10g tank I have now is from Wally World though, and it seems to work quite well - almost no problems whatsoever. The filter is a bit finnicky, but in the end it keeps the water clean and clear, so I cant complain. And its an All-Glass aquarium too.

Any help, info, questions, comments, whatever would be great.

I have the Walmart 55G with stand. Pretty good setup. But you might also want to get a better filter for it than the one that comes with it.

Lonewolfblue said:
I have the Walmart 55G with stand. Pretty good setup. But you might also want to get a better filter for it than the one that comes with it.

How much did the stand run you?

And if you have it handy, what are the dimensions of their tank?

The 55 gal kit from Wal-Mart is not bad. As LWB mentioned, you'll want to upgrade your filter. Also check around your lfs for sales. I ended up picked up my 55 gal tank with hoods, lights, stand, filter, heater, and some sand for $200.

The foot print of a 55 gal is 48"L by 12"D. Not sure on the height, never measured it before.

You might also want to check Ebay (you can search locally) for used setups. Sometimes you can get a beautiful stand and tank really cheap from someone who is just tired of the hobby.

Also, check your local aquarium society. They usually have boards where people sell old stuff, and you can get some excellent deals.

Lonewolfblue said:
48x12x21

The stand is about 49 long, 13.5 wide, and 23 tall.

Sounds like a pretty nice stand, considering where it came from.. how much did it run you?

I'm thinking if I can get tank + stand from Wally World for under $200 I'll go for it, but if its much more I might as well just build the stand.

And thanks for your help sofar everyone.

fearlessfisch said:
You might also want to check Ebay (you can search locally) for used setups. Sometimes you can get a beautiful stand and tank really cheap from someone who is just tired of the hobby.

Also, check your local aquarium society. They usually have boards where people sell old stuff, and you can get some excellent deals.

Checked eBay and most of the people are selling them for local pickup only, and eveyone seems to be out west. I'm in southern Connecticut, so that doesnt work for me.

I checked a bunch of classified ads and people around here aren't looking to get rid of their stuff cheaply.. I guess when you live in a rich area, people feel they can sell their used stuff for more than its worth.

I'm gunna go buy a newspaper this afternoon though, certainly can't hurt to keep looking.

I believe the tank was 169.00 and the stand was 69.00. The tank came with hood and lights and a cheapy filter.

i would probably upgrade the filter and heater that comes with the kit, thats the only drawback to buying kits, is your components that come with cheap kits will need to be replaced. i would suggest buying the stand from wal mart if you like it and it is built well, then i would buy a 55 gal tank and hood from a lfs, and order the power filter on-line as well as the heater. i saw a penguin 330 hob filter on sale on a website for 30 $. this way if the stand holds the tank ok you know the rest of your setup is quality. i am actually doing the same thing you are doing right now exept i am going to go with a 75 gal if my wife will sign off. my 10 gal is just a tease

I was going to get the 55 kit from PetsMart ($158.00), then went to my LFS and they offered me the tank, Penguin 330, hoods, MarineLand heater and misc stuff for $169.00. No stand needed, but they were willing to make me a good offer on that, too---

Here's what the 55G Walmart looks like....

tank2.jpg

man thats not a bad looking tank, did you buy the stand at wal mart as well. i am assuming that you have a different filter than what came with the kit.

Yes, that is a Walmart stand. I thought it was going to be a cheap stand, but when I started building it, it's a lot stronger than I expected. Really nice stand. And for 69.00, great deal.

As for the filter, I'm running the Emperor 400. Currently I have 2 Emperor 400's on the tank. In the picture is when I was only running 1. I have 1 on each side now.

I also have the Wal Mart 55 g stand and can attest to the fact that it both looks good and is very sturdy. As for the filter and heater that comes with the Wal Mart Kit, I use both on my 29 g tank because they simply are insufficient for a 55 g tank. Buy the stand, but maybe rethink the kit. I would buy the heater and filter online from a reputable place and buy the tank and lights from your LFS, usually around $100 new. You can usually get a good filter and heater online for about $60-70 if you look around and choose wisely.

Back
Top Bottom