Considering a Rainbow Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That bala looks very nice! I suppose i take it back, that does look like a shark! How did you make the cave with the sand? They do seem pretty cool, id never be able to have them, unless i got a bigger tank of course! I see this hobby being addictive...

The 2 caves I made myself. Just took some ziplock containers from Safeway, coated sections with aquarium sealant, and covered with the sand. Then I tapped it down. I just did 1 coat and it does look a little thin. Next time I build one, will double-coat it.

The other cave I did with aquarium sealant and aquarium gravel (small rock). Basically just spread the sealant fairly thick, and push the rocks one at a time down into it, piecing it together like a puzzle.

For larger fish, you can do the same, just cut out larger entrances first, then apply the sealant and sand/rock. I did smaller entrances designed only for the eels.

Thats a nice idea, im guessing a ziplock container is like plastic tupaware container? A square or rectangular container. So inside the cave is fairly big and open? Not like a tunnel?

Yup, that is correct. Instead of the tupperware brand name, it's the ziplock brand, much cheaper. The sand one is actually 2 levels. I sealed a second one across the top so it overhangs on the front of the bottom one, so there's multiple entrances. Pretty cool looking. I want to do a triple level cave to replace the rock single level one.

Sounds pretty cool, i might have to construct something similar! I've just done some re-arranging in my tank yesterday, im pretty pleased with it, i made some more caves and stuff, moved some plants around. All ready for my rainbow shark, which im going to get now!

I have bought my rainbow shark, cost me 2.99, i acclimatised it for about 40minutes then let it out of the bag, its been in for nearly 1 hour, with the lights off.
On the way home i noticed it had gone slightly pale, normal i suppose, but its fine now.

2 of the striata have taken a liking to him, and seem to be following him about, pretty funny to watch! It's about 2.5 - 3" in length.

Cool......

One thing I noticed about mine. When I had him in my smaller tank, which was severly overstocked, and the water conditions started getting poor, he started turning pale, but shortly after the pwc, was back to normal. It's probably just due to the stress of moving him from the lfs to home. He should be just fine.

Yeah, im sure it is stress by moving him, he is back to black now and swimming all over the bottom, checking out the hiding places.

He's actually quite shy at the moment, tends to hide under/in my driftwood cave with his head just sticking out a bit, he keeps coming out and then reversing back in. He's not afraid of any other fish, maybe just people and noise in my house. Hope he doesnt stay too shy....

They do stay fairly shy, but will venture out now and then, He's not like the bala where it's out in mid-tank all the time. My albino doesn't hide alot either, pretty bold.

He comes out more when the light goes off. When i shut the cupboard door underneath the tank he seems to react more, where as the loach and oto's dont take any notice (i shut the door very carefully now, dont wanna make him scared every time i go near!).

just a quick question, how long do you have your lights on? I've read different suggestions from different places, some say 12/12 and others say more like 8 to 10 on 8 to 16 off. (didn't think it would be worth starting a new post just for that).

Thanks.

elliott_001 said:
i shut the door very carefully now, dont wanna make him scared every time i go near!

I wouldn't go that far. He'll get used to it rather quickly. So how is he doing today?

Yeah, i probably made that sound a bit over the top, i just try not too scare him. Today he seems a bit better, more out and about. He does tend to dart about a bit, really fast (mostly when the lights are on, when he leaves his caves, logs etc).

Update on the rainbow shark, and more whole tank for that matter!

Today i did a 25% water change, then went off to the lfs get 2more oto's to go with the 2 i already have. While i was there i also bought a pair of dwarf gourami's, a male and a female. After indroducing them i turned the light on over an hour later and sat a watched. Im very pleased with the 4 fish i added today, it seems since adding them my whole tank has come to life!!

The rainbow shark is more active than ever, out and about the whole time at all levels (mainly the bottom tho), the gourami's seem very happy together, the loach are doing great and the oto's are now a nice group of 4.

The oto's i purchased today have slightly different marking from my original two. The original 2 otos' stripe went from the head down to the tail, stopping just before the caudal fin, where there is a black spot. The new pair have a stripe which runs right down the length of the body and have no spot. They dont know the difference, they're all happy as larry, just something i noticed!

Yeah it is, im really pleased with it. The only problem is at the moment i have a band of green algae on the glass, in the middle on the front. But it doesnt really bother me, im sure it will go, if not i will get rid it! hoping the oto's and my future pleco will sort it!

thanks for the help with the rainbow shark lonewolf!

Not a problem, glad to help.....
I have 2 small CAE's in my 26G and 2 in my 55G, and no signs of algae in either tank.

Back
Top Bottom